How do you add an attachment link to an approval task form

Badge +3

I have an approval workflow and have created a custom nintex task form.  I'm very new at this and can not figure out how to get a link to the item attachment on the approval form so that the supervisor can view it.  Any help would be appreciated!

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There are a few ways to combat this. I would first recommend not to provide an attachment ability on the task. Instead the item the workflow is running on could be a document, or an item with the attached document for the approver to review. If the document is not available when the workflow starts, then possibly provide a To Do task, or Request Data, and instruct the appropriate person to attach a document to the item. It would be simple to provide the correct link there.

If you provide the ability to attach documents to tasks, you are at risk of losing data. Tasks are often deleted and can be automatically deleted by timer jobs. By default, SharePoint runs a daily Workflow Auto Cleanup job to permanently delete workflow instances and related task entries that still exist 60 days after a workflow is completed or canceled. Workflow history items themselves are not deleted, but the entry point to view them on the status page for a particular instance of a workflow will no longer be available. If you attach documents to tasks, you will eventually lose the data which can be problematic.

Instead, attach it to the Item the workflow is running on. To do this, simply provide the edit link to the item using Common variables. On this form will be the attach item ability (if it is enabled for the list).

Badge +3

Andrew,

Thedocument are attached on the list form and not the task form.  Will this make a difference?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, if you attach a document using the List Item Form, the item has the document/attachment and the workflow can interact with it, and also will be persisted with the list item.

Badge +3

Is there any way that I can include a link to the list item on the task approval form?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes, you can add a hyperlink control and have it default to the item url using references in the Common tab. To change to edit url have {site}/listname/editform.aspx?ID={itemid}

Badge +3

Andrew,

I'm working with the flexi task approval form and it does not have the dynamic hyperlink that I can set up.  Therefore the common tab is not available.  In the list form it is avaible and it is available for the email notifications.  Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Badge +3

I figured it out!  I had to use the label control on the task form to find the dynamic hyperlink ability.  Thank you for sending me in the correct direction. happy.png

Badge +6

How did you achieve this? Please share. I also want to carry the document that was attached during the initiation to the next approver (not as an email attachment but as a link on the task/approval form or flexi task form)

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Christine Guyett​, I think a great place to start reviewing that process would be here -> Workflow to copy attachment files from Task List item to List item

Badge +2

Hi ‌,

I'm finding the solution for this. Not sure if you can provide me the details?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you. happy.png

Badge

Hello 

I need some new attach file post from nintex task form to Sharepoint List. the action is we can do?

Please give some advice .

Thanks

Tharsan.