cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to save form data to multiple lists?

Jump to solution

I am new to nintex, and I am trying to figure out how to save a form data to multiple lists. I have a complex form with 30+ fields, and the fields are to be stored across 3/4 lists. When I choose the connected to setting for a control, I am able to see only the fields from current list to which the form is attached. How can I save data to multiple lists? I looked at repeating section and saving as XML and that doesn't suit my requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Labels: (3)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Workflow Hero

Re: How to save form data to multiple lists?

Jump to solution

Hello -

If you are using Nintex Forms, have you thought about committing it to one list and then have a list workflow update/create new items in other lists? This would allow you to move the data anywhere you want but you would have to save it to a single location first.

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks Jesse for your suggestion. Haven't come across any direct way to save data to multiple lists. I guess that will the only possible option available with Nintex forms?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

What Jessy mentioned is at least the only thing you can do without writing custom code. If you are able/willing to write some JS code, you could also do it independent from the workflow. Hit the search if you want to know more about writing JS in your Nintex Form. Or ask again, if you have a precise question about that.

But I would definitely follow Jessys suggestion and try to solve it with a workflow, because normally it is much easier.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I have a similar problem. In my form, a user must first make a selection from a dropdown list, and then should see fields specific to that selection, which need to be stored in a specific list associated with that selection.... so for example...

Lets say the user must first choose what type of athlete he or she is: runner, swimmer, football player, tennis player, etc. Depending on what he or she picks, he or she should then see a set of fields specific to that sport. A swimmer might be presented with a list of fields where they could enter their time for the 100 freestyle, the 100 backstroke, the 100 breaststroke, the 500 freestyle, etc. A runner might be asked his or her times in the 100 yard dash, the 400m, the 800m, the mile, and the 5K. A football player might be asked what position he plays, and hist weight and height. .

We have seperate sharepoint lists for Swimmers, Runners, Football Players, etc. in addition to an Athletes list. The form must store generic information it captures in the Athletes list, and then store specific information in the more sport specific lists. It also must store in the Athletes list  the sport chosen and the id of the athlete in the sport specific list.

I am new to Nintex, and so am wondering if this is doable?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Kimberly,

I'm quite sure this is doable but not by using the out of the box functionalities. You would most likely have to write your own JavaScript code to provide this solution. I don't know about your JS-skills, but this doesn't sound very simple.

An easier workaround would be to write ALL the sportlers information to your Athletes list and have a workflow running on item creation that copies the relevant information to the respective detail lists. You would need some additional columns in your Athletes list but you can hide these columns from the default view so the normal user won't see it.

For providing only the relevant columns depending on the users first decision, you can use panels. Create panels for all different sport types, place the columns inside and hide the panels depending on the users selection by using rules.

Regards

Philipp

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Have you looked at using a Site Workflow to do this? Using appropriate choice fields and saving the results to a workflow variable in the start form. Then in the workflow depending on what was selected you can create a new item in the appropriate list?

Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Kimberly,

What you are trying to accomplish can be done with Nintex workflows and without JS.

"Lets say the user must first choose what type of athlete he or she is: runner, swimmer, football player, tennis player, etc. Depending on what he or she picks, he or she should then see a set of fields specific to that sport. A swimmer might be presented with a list of fields where they could enter their time for the 100 freestyle, the 100 backstroke, the 100 breaststroke, the 500 freestyle, etc. A runner might be asked his or her times in the 100 yard dash, the 400m, the 800m, the mile, and the 5K. A football player might be asked what position he plays, and hist weight and height." - this is referred to as 'cascading lookup' Cascading drop downs and Nintex Forms for SharePoint

"We have seperate sharepoint lists for Swimmers, Runners, Football Players, etc. in addition to an Athletes list. The form must store generic information it captures in the Athletes list, and then store specific information in the more sport specific lists. It also must store in the Athletes list  the sport chosen and the id of the athlete in the sport specific list." - for this, are you needing to create new items in the Athletes list and the sport specific lists each time the form is saved? if so, use the workflow and 'create item' actions to send the information to the appropriate lists. use the configuration of the 'create item' action to store the new item ID in a variable. you can then use those variables to perform update items to each list when the variables match the IDs.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Amanda,

Could you please provide the link to an example for this kind of scenario. I am learning to use Nintex forms and have a similar request. Also, is this possible to implement in SharePoint O365? Thanks much!

0 Kudos