Nintex workflow errors out at end of workflow

• 17 February 2016
  • 15 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

I am having numerous issues with workflows firing off a workflow errored message after the workflow has successfully completed. Is this a known bug? How can I fix this? I've checked the workflow statuses and everything is green so nothing specific is malfunctioning (what I wrote at least). Since all of the steps are completed this makes me believe that the workflow fails to successfully end itself. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I've been getting the same two emails each time (see below).

The Venue Workflow workflow has ended unexpectedly for (no title).

An error has occurred in Venue Workflow.

Click here to view the workflow status.

The Venue Workflow workflow has ended unexpectedly for (no title).

The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information.

Click here to view the workflow status.

The second error notification made me think that it had to do with an actual step, however, all the steps completed successfully and like I said earlier the workflow status doesn't show an error on any step.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Greg

15 replies

Badge +7

Do you update one or many items ?

Update multiple items are executed asynchonously, meaning :

- NINTEX ask SharePoint to update the items (batch)

- NINTEX WOrkflow goes on

- SharePoint does the job in some minutes....depending on the batch

That means that even if if your update items fails, the workflow could have had enough time to complete : NINTEX workflow is not able to catch the error, as it appears after ending.

Badge +5

Hey Thomas,

I update two items, which are updated correctly each time. This is why I don't understand how it fails.

-Greg

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Greg,

Can you try putting a Commit pending changes action after your Update action.  If that doesn't work, try putting a pause action in there and pause for a few minutes. See if that clears it up!

Thanks

Badge +5

Hey Mike - we don't have the "Commit Pending Changes" action available for us. Not sure why, but I don't get paid the big bucks to make those decisions. Anyways, I had a pause setup at the beginning of the workflow and it still had the same issue. Do you think putting a pause after update the item will work? I initially had the pause at the very beginning, but will try at the end.

Thanks,

Greg

Badge +7

Hello Greg,

The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a different type of information.

This error occurs when you are trying to update some data into the different type of List column. Eg: Updating String data into the Integer column.

But strangely after this error, your workflow is completing and updating the item too!

Try to put more variables and log them in using log in history list action to know where it is failing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi Greg,

I would definitely try putting it at the end of the workflow in this case.  This error usually does indicate that the wrong type of info is going into a column that doesn't like what it is receiving however I've seen strange issues occur around this before when a web service or something else would time out, so the error seemed misleading.   Anyways, having this at the end might give the workflow enough time to resolve these errors or make them more evident.   Its worth a shot.

Thanks

Badge +5

Thanks Mike - I went ahead and put them at the end and it still errors out.

Hey Soni - I'll take a look at this.

Badge +11

How many actions does this workflow has? If possible I'd break this into several mini-workflows to see where exactly it is having problems. Then I'd start logging so I could see the exact action.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Taking a look at the ULS logs might reveal what's going on here.  Do you have access to the logs on your SP server? 

Badge +5

The workflow has 10 actions in it not including the pause for durations. Unfortunately I do not have access to the logs. I'll go ahead and replicate the workflow in a separate site and see if I can pin point the issue via mini-workflows.

Badge +11

You can use the Log History action as well to help troubleshoot. You can check variables, field values and everything. It also helps see how far you get in your actions.

Badge +5

Hey MIke - after refreshing all instances, had about 175 going earlier (very active site). it appears that the pause sequence at the end after each condition possibility might be working. Hopefully I should be good going forward. Thank you everyone for the help.

-Greg

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Right on Greg, glad to hear it. happy.png

Badge +4

Hi Greg,

You can refer below  Allan's solution.

Swap

Badge
which one? I am in 2020 and this still errors