Is there a max number of fields in SmartObjects?

Badge +4

I'm working on developing a Service Broker that connects with an internal system.  We recieve data back in xml format, and some of the data is in lists with no limit on the amount of values in the list.  Because I need to flatten this data out for the Service Broker (and Smart Object) the number of fields is getting a bit high.  I'm up to 88 at the moment if I include all the data currently requested, but if if I were to add all the data this call returns it could easily go over 100.  

Is this an issue?  Can K2 handle it fine, or will there be errors or slowdowns?  Is there an upper limit somewhere I need to be aware of?

Thanks!

3 replies

Badge +6

Hi ChrisWillerd,

What do you mean by 'fields'?

Do you mean data and xml fields?

Also, what case scenario are you interested in? Just having many fields should not be a problem. Using fields in rules and wizards is another thing. In K2 Studio for instance, when you are customizing a message, if that message contains a few datafields, you would be able to proceed to the next window by clicking next for seconds. If you add 40 fields, you are going to have to wait a good minute to see the next window after clicking next.

So I suppose it depends on how many you are using in a certain type of process and not how many you have created.

Regards,

Monika

Badge +4

Hi MA, 

Looking at the code, I guess the proper term I should have used was "Properties".  Sorry for the confusion, but yeah, it's the data returned by the Service Broker.  We'll also create a Smart Object that returns all the data the Service Broker can return.

The use case will be: we need to display this data in Forms and use them in Form Rules.  

It's good to hear this won't be an issue beyond making things slower in design time.  My main concern was either hitting some kind of upper limit based on how K2 was designed, or slowing down K2 during runtime.  

Also, since I posted this I completed my custom Service Broker.  86 properties are returned.  No slowdown at all when accessing all this data via a generated Smart Object in the Service Tester :)

Thanks!

Badge +6

Hi Chris,

I am glad your solution works fine.

I can see in the out of the box CRM folder that the Account SmartObject has around 160 properties and yes it does indeed take a bit to load (after clicking edit on it), but ones that is done, navigation through it is normal.

Moreover, I automatically generated a view from it and at run time it also took a good minute to load. That said, it all comes down to how you will design your forms and rules (clean design; execution methods; exapndible and collapsable views etc.). In this document on p.43 http://help.k2.com/k2lm-200yul.aspx# the execution methods are very well explained, have a look at it if unsure which one to use.

Regards,

Monika