cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

How to protect columns from changes made by QuickEdit without disabling QuickEdit?

My workflow controls temporary permissions on list items. In the start form user can be entered for permissions for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month for reader and editor. The controls are linked to columns and the contents are converted into authorizations in the workflow. A daily workflow checks the expiry dates and clears the corresponding columns. This works very well, as expected. Requester and rights change are recorded in the audit logs. In QuickEdit, all of these columns are editable and a change in them is processed with the next daily or manually invoked workflow. The changer in QuickEdit is not recorded, while the Audit Log contains the starter of the workflow. Every change of authorization must be logged correctly.
So far, my ideas have been to log the QuickEdit changes and undo QuickEdit changes immediately.
Both complex and confusing, with hidden columns or additional lists.
Whatever ideas you have, I would be very grateful for your help.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to protect columns from changes made by QuickEdit without disabling QuickEdit?

Hello,

I think this is a great application of permission handling.  Good job!

You can disable the Quick edit by selecting List settings --> Advanced -->  Quick Edits and set it to "no".  Is this an option?  Or do you need to have the Quick edit functionality?

If you need to use quick edit, have you tried hiding the permissions fields from the views?

Kind Regards,

Francois Crous

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to protect columns from changes made by QuickEdit without disabling QuickEdit?

Good Morning Francois,

Thank you for your kindness.
Disabling QuickEdit is not an option because of usability.
The simple hiding the fields in the views can be easily undone by the users.
Really hidden fields are accessible with XML, I've already tried that, not yet writing.
I also considered logging changes that were not made by my workflow. The point is to prevent, undo or log the changes with QuickEdit.
The temporary rights grant function should be enabled as an additional function on request in the SharePoint pages, possibly only for one, documents, library.
However, I'm on the go with list workflows on the go. Actually, it must be a website workflow that monitors all list items ...
Do you still have any ideas?

Kind regards

Michael Heider

0 Kudos