Speeding up Document Generation Process

• 14 February 2018
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +8

Is there a way to speed up the process for Document Generation?  We have a workflow that uses document generation but seems to take a long time before it processes or sometimes doesn't process and I have to go do the retrieval inside Nintex Admin. to get it to run. Any insight into this would be helpful.

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Kevin,

which SharePoint are you working with? SharePoint Online? On Prem?

The speed of cloud based document generation itself can't be influenced. On premises you can manipulate the execution interval of the Nintex Workflow Start Service, which resumes workflows after document generation (see info here: Nintex services) but it will put load on your overall SharePoint. So it's best practice to leave the default value.

How long does document generation need in your environment?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +8

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for replying.  This is SharePoint 2016 On-Prem.  We tested this once and it went through nice and smoothly but now when we test it just sits there on it forever with and holds up the workflow.  Currently I have a workflow running and has been at the Document Generation step for over 2 hours and counting.

Badge

Were you ever able to figure this out? I am having a similar issue.

Badge +17

IF your doc gen is taking that long, more than likely something has failed. I would suggest killing/terminating that instance of the workflow and turning on verbose logging, plus checking the ULS logs after you run the workflow to see what may be happening.

Some quick tips:

• Ensure that the document template is in the same site/site collection if at all possible.
  • Ensure that the workflow does not have to hop around to get the values for the template
  • Ensure that the size of the template is not too large or have a lot of images in it requiring it to be parsed first before going through the doc gen engine.