Nintex Workflow slow ... takes up to 60 seconds to refresh the page itself

Badge +11

Hello All

I have designed a form which uses 2 workflows: Reference + Approval.
The reference simply generates the Reference number updates the status and then starts the Approval workflow.

Note sure what the instance ID is used for but just added it in case is required!

Whereas the Approval workflow is set up to start also manually if required and to check condition when created based on the status parameter. Its purpose is so that in case the WF gets tuck at any Flexy Task point, then with the manual restart it goes back to the same approval point...

Maybe this is what causing the slow down????

The workflow contains a few of the followings:

- Parallel Actions

- State Machines

- Change State

- Switch

- Run If's

- Quries

Initially it used to run well, quiet fast.
As soon as the SUBMIT button is pressed, it would run the workflow and refresh page back to content within 5 secs.
Now, it does take over 60seconds before the page is refresh to show the content / process.

I am not sure what is causing it.
I have performed Purge workflow data to get rid of error'ed workflow.

Any suggestions?

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

add Pause for.. action at the very beginning of both workflows to wait for short period of time.

Badge +11

the pause action will automatically make the workflow wait for at least 6 minutes before processing.
The issue with this is that the reference number will not be generated when submitted ...

Just trying to  understand why would PAUSE ACTION speed up the process :/ mmmmm

Userlevel 5
Badge +14
the pause action will automatically make the workflow wait for at least 6 minutes before processing

it will wait until next timer job turn

The issue with this is that the reference number will not be generated when submitted ...

it will be, once the action that makes the change is committed to the list item

Just trying to  understand why would PAUSE ACTION speed up the process

it will not change how fast or slow will workflow run (apart from initial delay).

but it will change how fast you get response, resp. how fast you're return back to previous page

see - Defensive Workflow Design Part 4 - Slow Down and Speed Up 

Badge +11

Must admit that the Pause for... action did cause issues in the past where the workflow failed to carry on after 5min.

Thereby having had to cancle / terminate the process lead to not using that action anymore.

I shall run a test and see how it goes happy.png

Yet; it is strange that the same workflow worked quick and smooth and all sudden not any more?
I suspect once the WF starts to get bigger and complex, it may cause this slow process?

Badge +11

Update

The Pause for action does not add any value to it.

It does still run slow as before...

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

hm, that sounds like some performance issues with your infrastructure.

how much time does it take if you try to run some simple workflow? eg. with one single action like send nitification

Badge +11

That is done straight away ... with no issues.
I also run WF Statistics and Min/Max Duration is < 1 Second.

There is no indication to what is causing it.
The only thing I done BEFORE it started slow process is PURGE eroded instances.

I am just sad.png confused.

Badge +7

Hi,

Conditional Workflows are sync with SharePoint Timer Job...So it will take time until the workflow starts.

Badge +11

Really??

I have at least 1 Condition Action which checks a drop down field (with 6 options to choose from).

Unfortunately I do not find other simple way (apart from Switch) to replace the conditional action.

The dropdown has 6 options: 2 of which have different workflow and 4 of them have one common workflow.

The Switch action is great BUT it will then require to duplicate the same workflow for the 4 same condition.

hmmm how to over come this issue .... of slow processing?

I assume you have checked my attached workflow ?

Badge +11

What about removing the Conditional Action and replace it with Parallel Action.
The parallel action runs into two branches of each having an IF Statement action.

Hmmmm wonder if this may speed up the process?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

I'd say Filter action would be better here.

as far as I understand your setup correctly you already have two workflows - one for 2 of options and second workflow for rest 4 of options. so you will need not change your existing logic, just add one (filter) action to both of them.

Hmmmm wonder if this may speed up the process?

until you test it on your environment you cannot be sure happy.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

and if you try the same simple workflow with some dummy condition (eg. ID > 1)?

Badge +11

UPDATE

Actually removing the "Conditional" option from "Start when items are created" in Workflow settings, seems to work. (1)
Indeed, I also implemented the parallel action and run if action instead of the conditional action within the workflow. (2)

The question is: which of the above improved the speed?

I assume it is the (1) option ... but shall test it further happy.png