Escalation Rule Date Too Small

Badge +1
Hello All,

I have some code in an Escalation Rule that passes DateTime.Now to the method SetEscalationRule. Whenever I do this the method complains:

An escalation date can not be smaller than the startdate.

But, when I look at the Start Date of the process instance in error, the start date is prior to DateTime.Now:

Start Date = 5/25/2005 2:45:13 PM (From K2 Service Manager)
Last Date Passed to SetEscalationRule = 5/25/2005 3:24:37 PM (Output to server console)

Can anyone explain to me what is going on or what I am missing?

Thanks,

Brian

6 replies

Badge +2
icon-quote.gifbstanden@coaliance.com:

Start Date = 5/25/2005 2:45:13 PM (From K2 Service Manager)
Last Date Passed to SetEscalationRule = 5/25/2005 3:24:37 PM (Output to server console)

Just a first glance, but I wonder if it's a matter of process vs activity start?
pj
Badge +1
Repairing......

Hmmm...

Good call. You are right. Here are the results of 2 repairs:

Expire Date: 5/25/2005 4:07:29 PM
Activity Start Date: 5/25/2005 4:08:29 PM

Expire Date: 5/25/2005 4:07:47 PM
Activity Start Date: 5/25/2005 4:08:47 PM

But....isn't the activity started prior to the escalation rule being evaluated? After all I see the LineRule, PrecRule, StartRule and DestRule being evaluated prior to reaching the escalation rule. It also seems weird that it is a minute ahead each time. Could this be a strangeness in the repair process or just something for which I will have to check?

Thanks!

Brian
Badge +8
I don't know if I am missing something big, but the format of the SetEscalationRule is:

K2.SetEscalationRule(Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds,Repeat#ofTimes);

this means fire x days, hours, minutes or seconds after the Activity was started, so you specify a period not a date?

Why would you want to fire an Escalation at the same time as the Activity Start?
Badge +1
Deon,

Thanks for the post.

There are actually 2 other overloads for the SetEscalationRule method. One of them takes a DateTime, which is the one I am using.

In this activity, there is a need to expire the activity if a date contained in the data is prior to the current date. So actually, I want to pass SetEscalationRule DateTime.Now but that date is 1 minute behind ActivityInstance.StartDate, so I get the error in the first post. That is why I am now passing in ActivityInstance.StartDate.
Badge +8
About the overloads ... I don't know what I was thinking, sometimes I can kick myself for not thinking :oops:

Coming back to dates issue, I tried to simmulate what you did but could not reproduce the error. My Activity expired when I used DateTime.Now
and DateTime.Now and ActivityInstance Start date is the same second.

I tested on SP2, is that the same version you are using?
Badge +1
Yes. SP2 is the version I am using.

The curious thing is that I had the same experience as you with DateTime.Now. Everything was working fine and then after I exported a new version some time last week, the error started occurring. I had not changed anything in the escalation rule so I was a bit stumped. Also, nothing had changed on the server.

I restarted the K2 service and it continued to generate the error. I did not try bouncing the box to see if that cleared up any weirdness, but I thought stopping and starting the service would be enough.