Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jpmhuls
Nintex Newbie

How to get selected value from 'new' dropdown list in JavaScript

Jump to solution

As of Nintex Forms 2013 version 2.9.x the control behaviour of the dropdown list in custom JavaScript has changed. And 'NWF$('#'+ myLookupDropdownList + ' option:selected').text();' doesn't seem to work anymore. How can I get the selected value now from  a choices or list lookup dropdown list?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: How to get selected value from 'new' dropdown list in JavaScript

Jump to solution

does this help   ?

0 Kudos
jpmhuls
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you Marian,

But I can't extract the proper info to get it working on my Form, as it is about setting values in the dropdown, seemingly using a textbox control for handling the postback.... Also with regards to the .next('input') snippet, in Edit preview mode, selecting an option seems to leave the next <input> control empty until the form is saved, whereas if I debug an actual form with data the <input> has a value property showing the selected item's lookup value (when changing the selected value, this does not change). As such it's also quite a challenge to figure out alternative jQuery selection option to get hold of the selected value.

So, in my particular case I have a lookup ddl from a Lookup column Currency with JavaScrip id 'jsCurrency'. In this control's change() method I use the following line:

NWF$("#" + jsCurrency).change(function() {

var selectedCurrency = NWF$('#'+ jsCurrency + ' option:selected').text();

// Do some more actions with the currency value.

});

What should I use instead to get the value?

NB: It would have been nice if in those cases where updated controls' behavior changes in custom JavaScript, that a document is made available showing the list of affected controls as well as the most common JS snippets for both the old and the new ones.

PS: we're currently testing the upgrade to Forms 2.10. where the above happens.

0 Kudos
nchamid
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you give it a try like this,

NWF$("#" + jsCurrency).change(function() {

var selectedCurrency = NWF$(this).find("option:selected").text();

});

Hope this helps.

jpmhuls
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you Nagarjuna,

But this also does not seem to work  If nothing works, I may have to revert back to Nintex Forms 2.8.x....

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Jump to solution

if read through the discussion I linked above carefully, you would noticed that they read lookup/dropdown value like follows

NWF$('#'+DDL).val();

note, that lookup value is returned in a form ID;#Text so you might need to parse out ID or text acc. your needs.

eg. to get lookup text value following should work.

NWF.RuntimeFunctions.parseLookup(NWF$('#'+DDL).val(),true);

it worked for me on NF 2.10.0.0

jpmhuls
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thank you Marian,

This works like a charm. Also, over night the server has been rebooted again (also rebooted after the Nintex forms update 2 days ago)  and that also improved my Nintex Forms preview experience, as well as behavior of the control (yesterday I got an empty string on the .val() method).

Would it be possible in future to have a separate document with a list of controls for which JavaScript behavior has changed? As well as some alternative snippets for common actions (like getting a selected value)?