Can I update a different item than the workflow is running on?

Badge +7

I am running a workflow on 1 item.  As the last step, I am trying to update the next item by using an Update Item Action.

Update specifies the same list I am currently on

Where specifies ID = varID (which I previously stored). 

Then I select 1 field to equal a variable.

I keep getting an error, "An error has occurred".  I tried to add Commit pending changes before the Update Item, but it did not help.

Any ideas?

11 replies

Badge +16

did the error give you anymore info than that?

what type is varID?

Badge +7

No, the error did not give anymore information.

Prior to the Update Item action, I do a Query List to pick up the ID of the item I want to update.  I save this ID in a variable called varID (Number format).  

Badge +16

What if you use list item ID type for your variable?

Badge +7

I created a new variable with a type of List Item ID.  I still get an error message - "An error has occurred in Request Approval".  Do you have any other ideas? 

Badge +16

Can you show us your workflow and configuration of the actions. It might not be the update action causing the issue... 

Badge +7

Sure, Please see images below of workflow, 3 enabled steps and Workflow Variables.  If the images are too small, let me know.  Thanks for your help.

207932_pastedImage_1.png

CONFIGURE - RETRIEVE NEXT STEP NBR:

207933_pastedImage_2.png

CONFIGURE - IF NEXT STEP IS AUTOMATIC:

207935_pastedImage_4.png

CONFIGURE - AUTOMATICALLY COMPLETE THE NEXT STEP

207936_pastedImage_5.png

WORKFLOW VARIABLES:

207937_pastedImage_6.png

Badge +16

what types are disposition and varDispositionComplete?

Badge +7

Disposition is Single line of text

varDispostionComplete Single line of text

Badge +7

Hi Cassy,

Any thoughts on what the issue may be?

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello ‌ - 

It looks like you are attempting to update a TASK item, does your workflow have permissions to edit the task item?

Also, check to ensure that your ID variable is returning the proper data. You can insert Log to history actions within your workflow and output variables to check. This might help to pinpoint if it is a data issue or something else.

Hope this helps!

Badge +7

Jesse and Cassy,

Thank you for helping me with this issue.  I do have permissions to update the task item.  The problem was, I was using the wrong Task ID.  I am all set now.  Thanks to both of you!