Link unrelated sharepoint lists

• 5 November 2015
  • 2 replies

Badge +11

My users want to capture data into a form/s that goes outside of the maximum 276 (text) columns allowable in a sharepoint list. During the workflow, they then want to output all the data captured into a single formatted email. I can only think of the following options, both cause issues that I can't see a solution to.

Option 1:

Break the data into sections and create multiple forms.

Issue: How to link the resultant lists for the single output. How does the workflow know what to look for?

Option 2:

Create repeating sections in a form. Each repeating section would output to a different sharepoint list, which would takes care of the maximum column issue, and the linking issue.

Issue: All forms require attachments associated with every item on the form. And attachments can't be used in a repeating section.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

I'm combing through posts that need to be set to "answered", and I see this never got a reply - however - 276 columns?! Holy crap! That is a case for a database if I've ever seen one.

I'm curious if this is the approach you've taken. 

Badge +11

We didn't go ahead with this one as it still needed that many fields to capture the full service and the form was just too big. The workflow was also very large, although I now break down large workflows and call one (or many) workflows from the main workflow, passing variables back and forth. I have used sql tables for other forms, particularly when I want to make the data available to other systems. This form was not a good fit for Nintex forms.