The encryption type requested is not supported by the KDC

• 3 December 2010
  • 4 replies

Badge +2

Hello,

We have a K2 Blackpearl installation on a Windows 2008 R2 server than has been running without problems for over a month, suddenly yesterday the service stopped, and each time I start it again and then browse he workspace the K2 windows service crashes again.

So I tried running the service in console mode and found the following error in the log:

""12343654","2010-12-03 01:39:06","Error","Unknown","8060","ProcessPacketError","SourceCode.Hosting.Server.Services.TCPClientSocket.ProcessPacket","8060 ProcessPacket Error, Authentication With Server Failed : SEC_E_LOGON_DENIED","system","fe80::7d08:d666:4cf4:7ad0%11","SV-K2-Dev:C:Program Files (x86)K2 blackpearlHost ServerBin","12343654","ee16364250fb4651aa4878dc994f5718","""

In the event log there is this error:

"8060 ProcessPacket Error, Authentication With Server Failed : SEC_E_LOGON_DENIED"

I tried to run the setup again so I can run that diagnosis report and I found the following error preventing me from configuring or doing a new installation:

"The encryption type requested is not supported by the KDC"

And I believe this is the source of the problem.

Please note the following:

- We're on a stand alone environment and should not require Kerberos but even if we do we already have everything set based on the documentation, and SPNs are set too.

- This error is related to the K2 Blackpearl service and not the website (workspace), I know this because I tried running the service and then calling a K2 API method and it also crashes the server.

- We're using a domain account to run the service and the application pool.

Please assist,

Ahmad

4 replies

Badge +13

Search Google for "The encryption type requested is not supported by the KDC" there might be other cases that pertain to your env.  Try link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978055

Badge +5

Hi Ahmad,

This might sound trivial, but when you started the K2Service in console did you start it up as the K2Service account?

Let us know.

Thanks!
Frikkie

Badge +2

I have, and I also tried with a domain administrator account.

Anyhow the problem is gone now, what we did is, remove all the config files from the bin and start the service, it started asking for each config (saying it is missing) and we put the config it asked for, until it worked with some configs still outside the bin, later on, I added the missing configs and it continued to work.

While reading the clutter the service produces in console mode, I noticed it starts lots of sessions successfully, but eventually tries to start a certain session and fails, for some reason there is a buggy session that makes the service crash.

I am wondering, does K2 store sessions in a database and then restores them later? if that is the case, if this happens again we can simply nuke that table holding the sessions.

For the record, we still see errors in the event viewer regarding authentication, like the ones in my original post.

Badge +13

Do you have Win2003 DC running?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserversecurity/thread/ecf15eb9-26cf-483b-b1e3-1b1c7e4901e8

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/paulbergson/archive/2010/09/28/windows-7-2008-kerberos-default-encryption-and-windows-2003-2000.aspx