cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to dynamically set List Title attribute - Forms for Office 365

I've been trying to replicate the example Travel Request form development process with attributes required by my client. I removed Title from the form, but it remains in the SharePoint list and is displayed as [No Title], as it doesn't have a value. If I remove this attribute from the SharePoint List, then it seems that I cannot return to Edit the Form. I tried to give the attribute a default value by concatenating other attributes from the SharePoint List, as per the command fn-And(Employee (Display Name), ID), but this doesn't actually seem to populate the Title attribute.

So can anyone advise how to populate Title with a default value, or set up an alternative item in the SharePoint List which will link to the form and allow it to be edited?

Labels: (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: How to dynamically set List Title attribute - Forms for Office 365

Hi Steve,

Can you not set Title as optional?

For this activate Content Type for the list in the Advanced Setting of the list.

Click Item under Content Type, click Title and tick Optional.

Just at thought,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Christophe,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, of course I could do this, but that doesn't overcome the secondary issue that I have. That being, without the Title attribute being visible there doesn't actually appear to be an option for a user looking at the SharePoint List to be able to edit item. At least I was not able to easily identify how to set another attribute to have properties which made it a clickable URL to the underlying Nintex form.

I'm also struggling to see how the supporting workflow can work cleanly. I've created something, but I'm not happy with the way information is presented to the end user. I'm sure they will only become confused. Particularly as the link to the form which is presented in the workflow email references Title as the URL back the form and of course as this is blank and Related Item contains "(no
title)".

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Steve,

So you can remove the Title column from the view and you already know how to Edit the item from another column.

In the Workflow, you can decide what you want to send as the Title. You can build your own string.

I beleive you can put "Travel Request from " followed by the name of the requester.

No sure if I understand all your issues.

Cheers anyway,

Christophe

akrasheninnikov
Nintex Newbie

The way you use the logical fn-And() function looks strange to me. It should logically compare two Boolean values and return true when both are true. Looks like you expect it to concatenate strings instead, don't you?

Not applicable

Christophe,

Thanks for your patience on this, here's an illustrated view of my challenge.

TravelRequest1.gifWithout a Title attribute in the list I am unable to click through to
edit the underlying item, as none of the other attributes have a hyperlink
associated with them.

By amending the list view I am able to reinstate the Title attribute, as
shown below

amendedListView.gif

The view is altered to show the following, where the text  “No Title” is clickable and associated URL
opens the associated Nintex Form. This is intuitive and works well, except for there not being a value set for Title.

TravelRequest2.gif

In the email that is generated in the Workflow, which I have customised,
I see the following:

As you can see the link back to the Nintex form item which contains the
information which the Approver is supposed to be reviewing is the Related Item,
where the URL is again associated with Title,
which because it is blank is shown as “No Title”.

So that's the problem and a solution is quite straight forward. I can see that I have 2 options how can I resolve this and have a workable process, either

1. set Title so it has a meaningful value, without requiring it to be
    manually entered, e.g. by dynamically constructing it from other attributes?

OR

1. set an alternative attribute to be linked
    to Item
    ?

Otherwise I can’t see how the process can make any sense to an end user. I know that I can instruct the users to switch to the Items tab, select the Item and then click on Edit , but its hardly user friendly and certainly doesn't work when wanting to see the item for approval from within an Email.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Alexey

I did wonder if maybe I'd picked the wrong function. I was struggling to find any explanation of the functions when I was wrestling with this last week.

Do you have any suggestion as to how I could achieve my objective? See my most recent response to Christophe Raucq​ for more details

Thanks

Automation Master
Automation Master

Hi Steve,

You can add the Edit column in your view.

Best regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks again Christophe.

For anyone who's interested. Editing the columns in the view is not something which can be achieved via the SharePoint Online GUI. You have to edit the relevant list's ASPX page associated with the view and insert some additional settings in order to achieve that objective. So if you're fairly new to building SharePoint solutions, like I am, you may not have worked that out yet.

This article explains how to do make that change.

I think I might have a workable solution now, but its not something for the faint-hearted to undertake. I certainly won't be putting these tools in front of an end user and saying, here's a solution which will allow you to create your own forms and workflows. Which is something that I had hoped I might be getting out of trialling this product.

I assume as I you weren't able to provide a solution that there are currently not any capabilities within the Nintex Office 365 product which allow for setting of one attribute based on the values of others, e.g. a concatentation type function?

Not applicable

I ended up associating the hyperlink with the ID of the List Item, like so...

<ViewFields>

<FieldRef Name="ID" linkToItem="TRUE"/>

<FieldRef Name="Employee"/>

Keep in mind that once you make this change in the code, making changes to the view in SharePoint Online will override that change. Which could be a problem.

I did identify a column names "" when going back to Modify the View in SharePoint Online. If you make this the first item in your list, it gives you a clickable icon which links to the form. This might actually be a better option than getting into the depths of ASPX pages.

0 Kudos