cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

How to customise a To-Do-Task

Hi Eric Harris​, many thanks for your original post titled 'Build a Better Nintex workflow 'Assign To-Do-Task' form.   Using the same method, i was wondering if its possible to customise the To-Do-Task options that the approvers would see?

My scenario:

I have a SharePoint document library that is running Nintex Approvals on all new and edited documents. I'm setting up a workflow that will 'Review' each document based on a date. The workflow is scheduled to run daily and advise any document owners when a document has breached its 'expiry' date and needs to be reviewed. The document would then be 'reviewed' and a new date applied for the next review.

Problem #1:

My plan was, to set up a nice approval task that a 'Review' could be done on a document. Whilst this workflow runs great, it doesn't come with reminders and escalations which is key for me.

Problem #2:

I set up a To-Do-Task to fire, however it generates alot of data the user doesn't need to see/complete each time.

Using Eric Harris​ method i can generate a nice tidy To-Do-Task with high level information about the document and a simple 'Approve' button. Sadly though, this doesn't approve the document in the library (it just completes the task). So the document isn't available for viewing as its 'Pending' approval still.

My aim:

Is to fire a task that comes with reminders/escalations to review a document, the task should contain two outcomes:

- Reject - Deletes the document

- Approve - Publishes the document

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated and I hope I have written my requirement clearly enough.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to customise a To-Do-Task

Blake,

I'm basing my assumption on the fact that you didn't mention this being in Office 365.  Have you looked at the Flexi-task? It has reminders and escalations which can be configured within the same task.  That should help with #1.

As for #2, you could just add the approval status action to your approval branch in the workflow to achieve that.  This should handle what you are looking for once the task outcome received back is approved.  I also wouldn't delete the document on reject, but possibly move it to a different library or archive it just in case.

Let me know if that helps. As always, if you can provide a screenshot of the workflow in question, it also helps to ensure we recommend the right approach based on what you've done so far.

Not applicable

Eric,
I'm using SharePoint 2010, apologies. I'll test Flexi-task and revert back, before i do test (as i wont get a chance now until Tue) is it possible to customise the options people see? I really like your solution where it shows you a high level breakdown of the files information, if i can retain that and add in a status column (to mark as approved or otherwise) that can be updated before completing the task that would be my ultimate goal.

Your suggestion for #2, is that possible without triggering an approval workflow again? i only want the approval to fire once. I can provide screenshots from Tue onwards next week.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Not applicable

Hi Eric,

The Flexi-Task was exactly what i wanted. It's sparked another idea though.

Is it possible to have an Outcome of replace document. I.e. I'm running a workflow on a Shared Documents library in SharePoint 2010 with Nintex workflow. If the document needs amending, is there a way to amend the document and re-attach it as part of the workflow?

For example:

My desired workflow:
A workflow to review documents x amount of months apart (to ensure they remain current and up to date by the document owner)

Flexi-Task Outcomes:

Workflow triggers for 'Document Review' to the assigned owner, this would have three outcomes:
1) Approve - Document is up to date and no changes needed
2) Revise - Document needs amendments
3) Reject - Document can be removed / deleted

The below actions are linked to the Flexi-Task Outcomes above:

Actions:

1) Document is approved and published to library
2) Current Document is amended/re-uploaded to SharePoint
3) Document is backed up to network share and deleted

My progress with the workflow outcomes/actions so far:

1) Done

2) At the moment I have written my emails/descriptions to say any amendments are to be rejected, thus the document is deleted, but then the user has to MANUALLY re-uploaded the revised document (which is what im trying to automate if possible and the reason for this essay)
3) Complete

This would allow me to make spelling corrections on the document etc without having to reject it (to delete it) then re-upload (manually) the revised document.

Regards,
Blake

Community Manager

Blake,

Let me look through this in more detail, but I would think you could simply use versioning withing the document library to achieve some of what you're attempting to do.  You could then load minor versions of the document and then set it to a major version if everything is good. If things need to be changed, the workflow can check out the document for a user which prevents others from modifying it and then after the approval the document is automatically checked back in.

I haven't ready completely through what you are wanting but it seems that its a mixture of versioning, approvals, and management which should be easy to pull off with the right configuration.

Not applicable

Thats brilliant thanks Eric. Changes to each document will purely be limited to text amendments and maybe some image removals/additions within the document itself. If i have to re-create the word files to align content to SharePoint fields i can do that but it adds a level of complexity.

I look forward to your reply eagerly, super keen to use Nintex to complete this process! Once done, it would effectively create an ISO compliant workflow for documents!

Not applicable

Hi Eric, just out of interest, did you get any further with this query?

0 Kudos
Community Manager

Blake did you look at the content approval and versioning settings for a document library?  You should also be able to set the approval status on a document via the workflow as well.

andrewg
Nintex Newbie

‌, it looks like Eric has provided some great guidance on your scenario. Is this questions answered and could a response be marked correct?

0 Kudos