Fields are required but I don't know how

Badge +8

In inherited a sharepoint site from another developer is no longer around.   There are several fields on the form.

I checked the fields validation properties and CompareTo is set to "None".   The fields do not appear to have any validation  rules.    But the fields are still required and I don't know why.    The fields are not required in the SharePoint column settings.

What I did was to remove one of the fields and add it back to the form using List Columns and that seemed to have removed the requirement for that field.

But I would still like to know what is causing those other fields to be required.   Any ideas?

6 replies

Badge +11

Maybe some additional javascript implemented that sets your fields as required?

Badge +8

There is no additional JavaScript

Badge +11

Assuming your fields are connected to the correct list columns, it sounds like a bug to me but I can't tell you the reason for that.

Just to be sure, there is no JS included either?!

How big is this form? Can you re-add all the controls with reasonable effort?

You could also try to export your form, reset your current list form to default and re-import your form.

Or you can try to change all fields in your list to required, save them, set them to be not required again and save them again.

Anyway, keep us informed please, especially if you find the reason for this problem.

Regards

Philipp

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

could you explain what exactly you mean with 'fields are required'?

- do you see a red asterisk next to filed label?

- or doesn't your form validate on submit? if so, what is validation error message?

- or is there any other (visual?) indicator that you consider to mean field is required?

Badge +8

Oh boy I can't believe I missed this.  The field was in a Content Type the field was a Site Column.   It was at the Site Column that it was required.   Then again I rarely use site columns because  IMHO, they cause more confusion then the benefit you get from them.

Badge +11

Great finding Bruce!