Solved

How to configure a form rule to evaluate on multiple conditions?

• 4 January 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +3

I'm building out a form for our HR department and I'm having some issues getting a rule to function correctly. I have have drop down control that's connected to a choice column named Type of Search with 3 options

• Full
  • Limited
  • Emergency

I have some controls in a panel that will only be used for Full or Limited searches so I'm trying to configure a rule to hide the panel.  I've tried the following syntax

• or(TypeofSearch!="Full, Type of Search!="Limited")
  • TypeofSearch!="Full|||Type of Search!="Limited"
  • TypeofSearch!="Full"||"Limited"

All result in the panel being hidden, but doesn't show when Limited or Full is selected

I have another panel that is hidden unless TypeofSearch equals Emergency which works fine.

I'm new to Nintex, so I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Any suggestions?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by cassymfreeman 4 January 2018, 22:03

View original

7 replies

Badge +16

So you want to hide the panel only when Type of Search <> "Full" AND Type of Search <> "Limited"?

You have an OR.  I think you need an AND.  Wouldn't it be simpler to just hide when Type of Search = "Emergency"?

Badge +16

I have created a quick form with two panels.  Panel one "Full or Limited" has this rule:

and(not(equals(TypeofSearch,"Full")),not(equals(TypeofSearch,"Limited")))

Panel two "Emergency" has this rule:

not(equals(TypeofSearch,"Emergency"))

Seems to do the trick?

Badge +3

Thanks for the response. 

I only want the panel to show when Type of Search is "Full" or "Limited".   The reason I didn't hide it only when emergency is selected is because the drop-down doesn't have a default value so I assumed it would be visible initially.  I didn't want to have a default value on the drop-down because I want to ensure users choose a value.

Badge +16

and(not(equals(TypeofSearch,"Full")),not(equals(TypeofSearch,"Limited")))

The above rule condition says Type of Search is not equal to Full and Type of Search is not equal to Limited.  That is what you want.  Our logic is slightly different as you are referring to "showing" it when in reality these rules only let you choose when to "hide" it.  Give the above a whirl and see what happens?

Badge +3

That did the trick.  Thank you so much!

Badge +16

you're so welcome

Badge

Hi, I'm having this exact same issue.  I'm trying to hide a text field EXCEPT where any of the 3 options below are selected from a lookup field:

• DAT Data Entry Error

• DIV Diversion

• WRG Wrong Customer Invoiced

See attached screenshot. I've finally got it to work for the first two conditions but as soon as I add the 3rd condition it won't work!  i.e. the text field is displayed when I select the first two options, but if I select the third option then the text field stays hidden.  No matter which order I add the conditions, the first 2 always work, but the 3rd one doesn't. What have I done wrong?