cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

Re: How to combine multiple "like" items into one item

Jump to solution

Hi Caroline,

Just in my solution when summing the hours up it only combined 2 of the values rather than adding the new values that were added in as well.

Yea , good news is though is that the process won't change again. Here is some background on it. The values that you see belong to one choice field that is queried in through SQL (tied to external connections in our InfoPath form). We don't have Nintex forms so we are having to use InfoPath.

Once a value is populated into a certain field, then the query runs and pulls all values that tie to that value. What it pulls in is resourcing data for certain projects: Solutions (in this case the color), COMP (specialty needed), hours sold, and the Role that it is assigned to that COMP/Solution. If it is the same COMP and same Role then it will be the same associate working those hours and those different Solutions. This is why we are trying to sum the hours and join the solutions together. It will allow for us to track each resource, by project and the hours they have to complete the Solutions.

Hope that helps.

-Greg

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

ok, it's more clear now.

Do you have the possibility to store those value as XML in a text field ?

It will be easier to implement a solution with an XML.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Through the query? Bare with me I'm pretty new to this so I do not fully understand everything .

I've been trying to use a combo of the workflow actions: Collection Operation / Regex / For Each

-Greg

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Sorry it's a bit confused now.

what is this choice field : a SharePoint column or a workflow variable or something that comes from an external system ?

Do you execute a SQL query in the workflow ? If so, which information to get ?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Sorry about that. The choice field is a SharePoint column that queries data from SQL once another field has been entered in.

Before Value Added:

After Value Added:

Once the values are selected and the form is completed we are wanting to send this data to our "contacts list", the current list is the "projects list".

So based on this query we would want to submit to the contacts list as follows:

COMP                              Role                               Hours

ADVARCH                         Secondary Architect      500

EM                                      Controller                      177

OTHER                               Leader                          2000

CTD                                   Initial Architect              114

CTD                                   Engineer                        660

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

ok I understand.

Unfortunately, it's complicated to do what you'd like to do.

The only way that I can imagine is to create a temporary list where you would add all the selected choices with one column for COMP, one for role and one for hours and do what I described in my previous answers...it would be lots of actions in your workflow and a temporary list but I don't know how you could do it differently.

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hey Caroline,

So I was able to do this through a bunch of separate collection operations, however, there is more . The form that I have, which queries all the data in, has multiple fields that it populates. For example there are 8 other fields that pull in data besides "Consulting". These fields are filtered in InfoPath so the values that pull in represent each organization correctly.

These fields can have like values as well and I'm trying to combine those like values. I have successfully combined all like values in each individual field, but am struggling to do so across the different fields.

In the example above I combined the CTD:Engineer values together to get 660 hours and now I have another field called "Additional Consutling" that has CTD:Engineer. and 120 hours.

I keep trying to do a comparison to search through the different collection then combine the values, but the workflow never makes it to that step and errors out. I've tried drilling into the workflow error, but it times out and never opens, assume this has to do with the size of the workflow (close to 200 steps).

Is there a way to combine two fields that have the same value in an easier manner? Sorry if this is confusing.

-Greg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Greg,

You can maybe separate the treatment in several workflows (one workflow per field treatment) and call a workflow after another has terminated.

You can also take a look at Manfred's answer to this post, in can also help you :

Re: Nintex repeating section

Hope this helps

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Caroline,

Unfortunately my company did not purchase all of the different workflow tasks so I am unable to use Query XML.

-Greg

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

It should be available in all versions of Nintex Workflow. Maybe the administrator hasn't enabled the use of this action.

Well, splitting your workflow in several workflows should help you