cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to allow (or disallow) multiple instances of the same WF to run on an Item.

A simple List has 2 workflows available that are MANUALLY LAUNCHED. One wf should never have more than 1 instance running on the Item. The other wf is valid to have more than 1 instance running on the Item.

I thought there was a checkbox someplace to allow (or disallow) multiple instances of the same WF to run on an Item.

Workflow Settings does not show it. Where can it be?

Thanks,

Dave.

Labels: (1)
6 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: How to allow (or disallow) multiple instances of the same WF to run on an Item.

You can't have multiple instances of the same workflow running for one item.

What do you want do achieve exactly ?

I think that a better architecture can be found which could avoid the need of multiple instances of the same WF to run on an item.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Not applicable

Re: How to allow (or disallow) multiple instances of the same WF to run on an Item.

Caroline, Another person also told me "You can't have multiple instances..."

That being the case, I wonder why the 'Start Workflow' action has the following checkbox in it:

" Do not start the workflow if it is already running"

That would imply that you can have multiple instances running for one item.

Here's the layout - multiple departments are working concurrently on separate "nintex tasks" for the same item. Some departments have 'signed off' indicating their work is finished on that item. A down-stream department discovers an error or omission from a department that signed-off on it previously. It needs to be be routed back for re-work, BY creation of a new task-for-rework. It's 'possible' that two departments could find themselves in this situation and the two "temporary rework workflows" (going to different departments) could overlap in time.

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi David,

It sounds like a decision is made based on some piece of information within the workflow that might require a rework.  I would advise looking into State Machines to accomplish this functionality - therefore eliminating your original concern.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I should add that the "Conditional" start options under Workflow Settings allows for some powerful designs in conjunction with State Machines, which could still manually allow workflows to be started by controlling the value of a specific field in the list and setting the workflow to run on item modification (with the condition that its not already running).

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I no longer see that option (Do not start the workflow if it is already running)on my workflow settings.. how did it disappear?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Is it a site or a list workflow?

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply