cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to access form data in your workflow

Jump to solution

Hi there

I am currently doing a cascade drop down, and has learned that the choice you make in the form do not get stored in the list, but only gets stored in the form itself.

I have failed to do this: The specified item was not found.

In the above tread it is mentioned that I could ad a workflow and update my item this way.

But how do I access the data within the form into my workflow, so that I am able to update the field?

Thanks,

Morten

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: How to access form data in your workflow

Jump to solution

Hi Morten,

You can use the Query XML action to access data within a form. There is a 'built in' item property of Form Data which you can use to get all your form data back, then use XPath to access the named control (or controls) you want to inspect.

Here's an example I'm working with right now where I get back the form data and retrieve the value stored in a form control - 'TagLookup' - into a variable. The XPath you use will always be in the format:

/FormVariables/<Control Name>

QueryXML.png

Barry

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi

I am struggling with this. I had tried to access Form Data, but it appears to be empty.

I wanted to see what was in it so I followed your example with the Query XML action, but told it to treat the data as text and put it into a variable without processing it.

But that variable is blank.  Any ideas where I am going wrong?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

have a look at these similar threads

https://community.nintex.com/thread/12740

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Andrew,

were you able to get this issue resolved?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Cassy,

I do have same issue as Andrew i.e nothing returns in XML. What I am doing wrong here?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Rashmi,

How are you?

Did you ever resolved your issue? What I do in these cases is to create a simple list with an additional multiple lines of plain text column and create an item in it from a test workflow with the Form Data's content. If that shows data, you can then add a Query XML action and preview it with a XML stored in the list. My experience is that in preview your XPath in the QueryXML needs a full path to the element you want to extract, while in the final version the XPath can be reduced into (you could try this also in preview):

//*[local-name()='<your field name from Nintex Form>']

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre

(recall the DSM days ?)

Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Jean-Pierre

I am doing  good. Thanks for asking. I didn't visit the community for few days. I was able to come up with workaround to pass the data from initiation form to task form using the workflow variables and javascript code.

Regards

Rashmi

0 Kudos