cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nintex Newbie

Re: How to Use a Column Name as Variable in a Workflow

Jump to solution

If your ultimate goal is to see who hasn't reported each week it would be far simpler to setup a weekly scheduled task that would email the weekly summary of who hasn't submitted (received = "N" and week = <X>). That could easily be done within Nintex forms.

I guess the real question is what is the ultimate objective? Is it to make a report that shows ALL your data, or get a weekly update of what has been done?

Sounds to me like you're wanting to automate a process that needs to be automated in a different way. You're trying to build a report that you don't REALLY need anymore. The automated process could be something that compiles the information you need each week from the list and send it to whoever needs it. The overall report of everything sounds extremely bloated.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Yea, perhaps i'm trying to keep her old Excel view (in list two) when really the data should be saved in another way. I think the user really wants to see ALL of the data in one view. (maybe every 2 months they can delete old content).  I think i'll try your approach of adding list items instead of trying to update existing columns. Sending an report via email the pulls from the list may also work.

Thanks for giving me some things to think about! I'll have to reconsider my approach!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

if the goal is to get ALL their data, in one spot and viewable they're wasting the power of sharepoint. Ultimately when you want data, they're looking for specific data they want to see. SharePoint views can filter their entire data set into manageable chunks that they can logically view.

View by Received reports

View by Non-Received reports

View by Week

View by user

View by Room

Those 5 views would probably give them all the data they really NEED, vs a huge raw dataset that becomes bloated over the long run and it can be setup to send them that data daily, weekly, monthly, hourly, minutely... That's the power of sharepoint and where it is best used. You can always export the data manually like they had, and if they really want that level of data, then they're OLD method may be the best one, but I think if you can filter the data down to a more manageable set of chunks for them, they'll realize that they don't really want all the data. They just want to view areas, and you need to teach them how to get what they really NEED vs what they WANT.

We just made a similar transition here and the business types went kicking and screaming (they love their spreadsheets) until I showed them how to obtain the data they wanted. Now they can't imagine how they worked in the huge spreadsheets they had before and their data is real-time which is what they REALLY wanted -that is the best selling point of SharePoint to any customer.

0 Kudos