cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

How do you input data into a repeating section field on another SharePoint site?

I am in the process of developing a form and two workflows. One workflow is associated with an already functioning Nintex Form. I will call this Form/Workflow A. The remaining form and workflow are on a completely different SharePoint site and I will refer to this as Form/Workflow B. When Form/Workflow A is approved, it will create an item on Form/Workflow B (easy enough). However, Form/Workflow A has 3 columns that are in a repeating section on Form/Workflow B. When I initially tried to transfer the data via the "Create Item in Another Site" action (see screenshot below) the fields do not populate when the item is created. Can you populate columns in a repeating section from another site collection? Any help/ideas are appreciated!!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Workflow Hero

Re: How do you input data into a repeating section field on another SharePoint site?

Can you populate columns in a repeating section from another site collection?

sure, you can.

but repeating section's fields are not bound to any list fields, but rather whole repeating section is bound to a (multiline plaintext) list field, and single repeater's fields are stored as a XML structure.

so if you're creating a new item in that another list you have to build the XML on your own.

if you're updating an item in that another list you have to read in existing repeater list field content (XML), use Update XML action to make respective updates to it and write it back to the item in that another list.

I'd recommend to create a (test) item in that remote list to see and examine how does repeater's XML is created.

note to name each field within the repeater, it will make life much easier to identify what is what within the XML

0 Kudos
Accept as Solution Reply