People Picker Function Not Available On Nintex 2013 Form

Badge +5

I've just created a new form with a control from a SharePoint 2013 people picker column that is filtered to a small group.  When I run the form there is no button beside the people picker control that gives me a list of who is in the group and who to choose from.  My users have to blindly guess by typing in the last name in the Nintex form control.  How do I get the button to show?

9 replies

Badge +17

Are you using classic or responsive? I just did a quick search and did not see what you were referring to on the form either. 

I'm not sure this was ever part of the control design at any point. Is it working as it should outside of this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

nintex decided at some point to remove this handy feature for unknown reasons.

you can import old "legacy V1" people control which supports this feature.

but it has several functionality and usability limitations....

see https://community.nintex.com/t5/Community-Blogs/Using-the-legacy-People-Picker-control-with-Nintex-Forms/ba-p/78510

Badge +5

Thanks emha.  Unfortunately our system admin is centrally managed in another country so I don't think I can import the older control.  

Is there any other way to get a list of people from a group in a dropdown in a responsive form?  This seems crazy not to be just standard functionality.

Badge +17

@andymcv  and @emha can you explain why you aren't seeing this when you type into the form control. 

This is a standard behavior across all our forms now and does allow you to pull in a group of people. The people configuration setting is controlled by SharePoint, so look at the column controls settings to see if you can narrow that to a specific group. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@andymcv,  you haven't mentioned you need this for responsive forms up to now.

for responsive forms neither "legacy V1" people control is available. that's just a workaround for classic forms.

Is there any other way to get a list of people from a group in a dropdown in a responsive form?

unfortunatelly not. responsive forms are quite limited in functionality nor allow javascript...

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@eharris04,

can you explain why you aren't seeing this when you type into the form control. 

if I type in something in a people control AND I know whom to type in, then people control provides me with list of options  to select from, that match with already typed in snippet.

but the point/question is different (as far as I understood).

designer configured/limited a people control to allow select people just from a specific AD/SP group.

I, as an ordinary user, have to fill in a form and select a person within the people field. I do not know any details about the design, nor how/why control might be limited. I start to type in a name, but no option are provided. so I try to start type in different name, again no options. try the 3rd name, the same.

now I'm really confused, whom should I type in there? what are my possible options?

and here is where users get lost, there is not any posssibility to see list of possible options, nor open a  search  dialog, which is OOTB provided with SP people control and was in the past with "legacy V1" control.

I fully agree with @andymcv on " This seems crazy not to be just standard functionality."

and not only in responsive forms, but just like in classic ones.

Badge +5

@eharris04, I agree with @emha fully.  I have the same view.  My users are left with guessing what to type into the input.  There is no way to get a list of people in the group from the form control.

Badge +17

You can modify the settings of the controls via SharePoint which allows you to determine people or people and groups. You can also restrict this to just a particular group.2305i822CBA2D09226A0C.png

So in my testing and it could just be my tenants' configuration, but OOTB SharePoint did show anything for that as well.2303iA4EA568933E1C587.png

I do vaguely remember having the option like that but can't remember exactly where it was. And when I tested this in Nintex, it was the same thing. So I added this to the help text in the control configuration. You may want to add a description or label there to help users understand that. 

2304iB722B6E4218B18C5.png

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

@eharris04, I'm sorry, you still miss the point...

this is what I'd like end users would be able to get in whatever usable form (yet still the best would be the OOTB sharepoint search people dialog which they know from other places)

2378i71B9E0949630FCC2.jpg

yet in 2014 you stated you'll be "looking at enhancing" people picker to restore the functionality.

https://nintex.uservoice.com/forums/229406-2-nintex-forms-for-sharepoint/suggestions/5711978-people-picker

5 years are gone and the functionality is still not available. even no update what are those  serious obstacles that prevent implementing it. just to open an aspx page OOTB available on sharepoint