cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leland
Nintex Newbie

How do you create side by side repeating sections without creating blank areas below?

Best to see the pic below. This is a mock up to demonstrate the issue I'm running into. Whenever I have 2+ repeating sections in-line with each other, adding rows to just one properly re-sizes the area. Adding a row to any other repeating section next to it will push down everything and creates this blank space.

It's almost as if it's over-compensating the re-sizing of the area. Having 4 repeating sections side-by-side, all the same size and etc, will create a blank area the size of the sum of all the rows added to the repeating sections. Ideally it'd only resize and push everything down by the size of the longest repeating section.

Putting them in their own panels does not change this behavior. Does anyone know a workaround to this? 

-Leland

Labels: (1)
9 Replies
fhunth
Nintex Newbie

Re: How do you create side by side repeating sections without creating blank areas below?

Try placing those 2 panels inside another container panel

0 Kudos
leland
Nintex Newbie

Re: How do you create side by side repeating sections without creating blank areas below?

No luck there. Placing those into another panel has the same result.

Automation Master
Automation Master

I recently ran into this issue for a large project and have managed to solve it. 

However. I am currently at work, and won't be able to post until later on tonight. I'll probably go on and just make it into a blog post being that it was incredibly frustrating to crack, and that there are so many little odds and ends which could be interesting / useful to people who want to dig into form resizing or form events in general. 

I'll try to post sooner if my lunch break allows for it, but if not, I'll drop the blog link over here in a comment later on tonight. 

Automation Master
Automation Master

Sorry to create ANOTHER reply on here, but I just wanted to ask you a question about the specifics of your case. 

In my case, I wanted to have some data on a large form better partitioned so that I wasn't trying to update XML that didn't need to be touched. BUT all of my Repeating Rows are actually in sync with one another. So, adding a new row in the first section will add a corresponding row in the children sections (same with deletion). 

However, in your above pictures, it looks as all of these are separate entities. That is, one Repeating Section could be larger than the rest

Will this be the case for you specific problem? 

It's important to know because I have not tested it from an asymmetrical approach and would probably need to tweek a few things to account for it (because, as I'm sure you have noticed, Nintex will also add in padding for each child row on a form in Edit / View mode, and will also REMOVE additional height on deletion!!!!). 

0 Kudos
leland
Nintex Newbie

In my case one repeating row could be larger than the rest of the repeating rows next to it.

Let us know how you solved your problem though as it may lead to a solution on my side. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Automation Master
Automation Master

Good to know! I'll have to do some additional testing to see how that particular case could be solved. But even if I can't generate a case specific answer soonish, the blog post will be coming later on tonight (for repeating sections with 'synced' rows), regardless.

The Asymmetrical approach poses some interesting problems with how I solved mine. Interestingly enough, I believe you could probably temporarily (or permanently, depending on how you feel about) solve your problem by stacking them on top of one another, instead of displaying them side by side. 

I would also be interested to know about what it is you're displaying (data wise) side-by-side that can exist in a disparate state. 

Automation Master
Automation Master

So just an update. I obviously was unable to get to doing a proper write up for a couple of reasons. 

Mainly, this weekend was a whirlwind of being busy and feeling terrible! Ack!

But also, I started to rewrite my code to be more generic so that it can actually handle your scenario AND mine, with only minimal effort on the user's part. When I started to get into it, I realized that there were just too many 'me' specific cases that didn't have to be so specific. 

So! Give me a bit more time. An answer is in the works. 

0 Kudos
leland
Nintex Newbie

It's been a while but if you still know of a solution for this please let me know. In addition to repeating sections the same happens to List Views that are side-by-side. They end up creating all this empty space below them. The "TOP" style in everything below them just gets pushed out by the sum of the largest repeating element, not the largest.

Very annoying issue that I never ran into while using Infopath -_-

0 Kudos
gordondreid
Nintex Newbie

I have this same issue. I'm noticing this post is a little older, however, do you have a solution as proposed earlier? Considering I cannot find information on this anywhere, I have opened a support ticket with Nintex.

0 Kudos