Can Nintex Workflow use the copy item action to copy a list item into the same list (in essence creating a duplicate with a new list ID)?

• 22 October 2014
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I am creating a workflow that rolls items in a quarter forward to the next quarter. It is meant to copy the items into the same list but with a new value in the quarter field. Everything works up until the copy action.

The error I get, surprisingly is: The workflow could not copy the item. Make sure the source and destination lists have the same columns and column settings. Hmm--same list, why this error?

Generally speaking, can Nintex Workflow use the copy item action to copy a list item into the same list (in essence creating a duplicate with a new list ID)? If not, what's the best approach?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Eric,

As far as I know you should be able to do that, I would caution that you need to be very careful as you could end up with a recursive workflow issue if you have workflows triggering on item creation (especially if the workflow you are creating the item with triggers on item creation).

What build of Nintex Workflow are you currently running?

Cheers!

Badge +3

Hi, Aaron, thanks for responding.

I'm Running Nintex 2013 3.0.8.0--just did the most recent update a week ago I believe.

However, I think I've found the issue. My list includes a Bamboo Unique Identifier field, and when I removed it, the copy item action works. I guess 3rd parties don't play well.

I'll update if I find there are still issues, but for now it looks like this is the root cause. I'll have to just take a different approach with a unique identifier field--maybe using a calculation or something.

Thanks!

Eric

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Gotcha. If I recall correctly, most of the code used in that action is Native to SharePoint. I do know that UniqueID fields can be a bit fussy, this is likely what you are seeing.

Can you mark your previous post as correct?

Badge +3

Done! Thanks again, Aaron.

Eric Painter

Business Analyst | SharePoint Production Support

Enterprise Application Services

Voya™ Financial

ING U.S. (NYSE: VOYA)

eric.painter@voya.com<mailto:eric.painter@voya.com>

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No worries! Glad you got it sorted. happy.png