cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kartik_tallapra
Nintex Newbie

How do i add new users to an inprogress workflow?

Jump to solution

This is possible in the OOB approval or feedback workflow, very strange that i cannot find it in Nintex Workflow 2013 STD.

Labels: (2)
15 Replies
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Re: How do i add new users to an inprogress workflow?

Jump to solution

I am sorry, but I don't understand the question. You provide more details and maybe give an example.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
kartik_tallapra
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Sure, please see this topic Change a workflow that is in progress

In a SharePoint approval workflow, when the workflow starts or if its in progress, I can add additional approvers/reviewers and it will assign a task to them.

However, in a nintex workflow review/approval. I am unable to add people to an inprogress workflow.

-Kartik

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Ok let me know if this works for you...

In Nintex you can create a State Machine. Set those states to be whatever you want them to be. As the workflow is progressing, you can change the states. In each state you can create a flexi-task that will be set for additional approvers/reviewers.

For example, the states can be Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3.Once it is approved in Step one, you change the State to Step 2. That will make it automatically move on to that state. It will hit that flexi-task and those approvers will get notifications to approve/reject or whatever you desire for them to do and so on...

0 Kudos
peterbehler
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I have this same situation also. If people leave the company or new people are added to a team that are responsible for approvals, the workflow has to be restarted so it can query and assign the tasks to all the members of a group again.

I haven't figured a way to add people to an approval already assigned.

0 Kudos
kartik_tallapra
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks, but you can see how this wouldn't work. I tried the State Machine workflow with Runif and Change state conditions, however, the issue is in most cases, there are new approvers that come into play in the middle of the workflow and we need to add them without restarting the workflow. The issue with restarting the workflow is that now everyone will get 2 emails that wouldn't work. Its is very strange that the OOB workflow can do this but not Nintex workflow.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

You can create a list. Assign those people to a team. In your workflow, set the specific people in a team to a workflow collection variable. Then assign the workflow variable to a task. When a person leaves, just remove the from the list. No change to the workflow is necessary. Same as if a new person is hired. Just add them to a list. I've done this before.

0 Kudos
kartik_tallapra
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter, however, restarting the workflow would send them multiple emails one when the workflow starts, when its stopped, and then when its started again, just to accommodate one person. You would think this should be possible when an OOB workflow can accomplish it.

0 Kudos
burkslm
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Have you tried creating a SharePoint approval list and using that list in the workflow? That way users aren't hard-coded in the workflow. So in the flexi-task point to the list or put the users needed a workflow collection variable. Will that help any?

0 Kudos
kartik_tallapra
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

I don't think so. say I put the users in an approval list or a group. and in the flexi task I use a collection variable and assign the task. This will create the flexi task for those in the list, when the workflow runs, however, if I add another person to the list while the workflow is running, it will not create an additional task for the new people added to the list. We will have to restart the workflow each time we add new people to the list and cannot add it dynamically when the workflow is running.

I hope I am not missing something very obvious here.

0 Kudos