Web Service Calls - Passing credentials

Badge +1

Hi all,

My webservice call requires that I pass a Username & Password to the login() WebMethod of the other application.

I cant use a managed constant as it wont let me place 'sensitive' strings into these reference fields.

Normal user AD accounts can't be used here, because their passwords are set to expire in AD.

Service (Managed) accounts in AD can't be used or stored in Managed Constant strings, because they can be viewed/outputted which means the security of the password is compromised.

So is there any way that a credential can be securely passed to a field like this without exposing it to the workflow creator?

I know I could prompt the user for the credentials in an initiation form, but I'd like to not have to do it that way.

Thanks

Internet Explorer.png

4 replies

Badge +7

Hi,

You can create a User Defined Action (UDA) that can call the web service and pass in or return any parameters. The workflow designer can then use this in their workflow without seeing what happens behind the scenes.

Jan

Badge +1

Worked perfectly - thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Was reading this and immediately thought "A UDA would be perfect for this!"

This is what I love about this community, on top of things!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

ciodonovan​ - Glad to see that it worked! Make Frank Field happy and mark the question as answered happy.png

It also helps others to quickly jump to how you solved this.