Migrate K2 and OS

• 4 November 2010
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

Hi

I have to migrate the k2 environment from a windows 2003 to a windows 2008 r2 server. I read the documentation and it says:

1. Uninstall existing K2 products from all machines
  2. Upgrade Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 per Microsoft upgrade instructions
  3. Clean Install – follow K2 blackpearl 4.5 (4.10060.1.0)  installation instructions and utilize existing databases.

My question i have is: In my old K2 environment (4.8210.2.615) some databases havn't a K2 prefix (like Categories or EventBus) some have a K2 prefix (K2Server, K2ServerLog, K2SQLUM). In the newest Version (4.10060.1.1200) all Databases have a k2 prefix.

I tried it in the dev environment and it works great. I can finish existing procinstances and create new one. my problem is now i have several databases two times, like EventBus and K2EventBus etc...

Is it the right way to rename bevor the update or to link it with the config manager to the old name?

thanks

6 replies

Badge +5

Hi,

The correct way would be to point to the "old/existing" databases during installation.  I.e. after installation the configuration wizard will run on the Database Configuration panel make sure each database is pointing to the existing SQL Instance and Database name.

Regards,
Frikkie 

Badge +5

I've tested id on the dev environment. Now i can't open any report, i get the error:

Cannot find the symmetric key 'SCSSOKey', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.  Could not Initialise ReportFilterControl: Failed to build CriteriaTable Scheme: Cannot find the symmetric key 'SCSSOKey', because it does not exist or you do not have permission. Cannot find the symmetric key 'SCSSOKey', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.

Badge +5

thank you, it works!

Badge +11

Many thanks...you saved my day

Badge +1

FYI - we migrated our K2BlackPearl databases from one server to another one and used the existing K2 Host Server.  Once migrated, I ran into the SCSSOKey encryption errors mentioned here.

After great support from Quintus at K2, we worked out that I had to run the SQL script mentioned in this thread to recreate the keys since the physical server had changed, resulting in the keys no longer being valid.

Additional to this, I also had to (from Quintus) "use the SmartObject Service Tester , found in the K2 Install dirin folder ... Expand Service Objects , right-click on K2 Generic Settings Service and Edit Service Instance" to edit my service connection string as it was still referencing the old server.

Once this was done,. it all came good again.

Badge +4

The previous query didn't work for us. Our db admin used this query:

ALTER SERVICE MASTER KEY FORCE REGENERATE