Get new created item

• 10 October 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hi all

i have created a Nintex Workflow in Sp10 which after a few checks, duplicates the current item via COPY ITEM to the same list.

What i now need is to change 2 values of that newly created item(status and Ready) but i am unable to get the new id of the just created item.

there are too much columns to use the Create Item action nor is it the customers wish to copy the item to a hidden list and that another workflow edits the values before copying the Item to the original list.

is there any way to get the id for the duplicated item? I am not so familiar with Webservice.

regards

Pascal

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The easiest solution would be to use the Create Item action with the references to each field. Using the Lists web service would require knowledge of these calls and several additional actions to build the XML for the service and to consume and locate ID and URL in the XML result from the call. 

It seems that you cannot use Copy to SharePoint as it only supports documents. See ‌ for more details. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I've done something similar to this by using override credentials to create the new item. (I've found that workflows wont start on items created by SharePoint.)

Then I create a separate workflow to start on item creation that updates the name and a couple of other fields for the new item. It's all within the same library and it happens almost instantly so it works well.

Thanks

Kassie

Badge +4

Hi Pascal

We have done something similar to this but in our case, our Title field had unique values so it was easy. When you use the 'Copy Item' action, basically it duplicates all field values to the new Item as well.

e.g. Say you have an Item with ID 100 and Title = 'ABC' and when you 'Copy Item' it creates a new Item with a different ID but the same Title

Once the new Item is created, Use the 'Query List' Action and filter Items with the Title Name = 'ABC' and Item ID <> 100 which will return you the ID of the new Item created.

Once you have the ID of the new Item, you can use the 'Update Item' action to update the newly created Item.

Will this help?

Badge +1

That was the solution!

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Pascal, just for my understanding, what helped in this scenario of using the Update Item action over the Create Item action?