cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I copy a list item to an identical list in a different web application?

We are managing a navigation list at the root of our site and also under MySites.  We want to be able to only make updates in one list rather than both.  How can we copy the information to the list on the MySites web app?

I was hoping to use Copy to SharePoint, but doesn't seem like it works on a list.

Labels: (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I copy a list item to an identical list in a different web application?

Stacie,

Fundamentally this may not work because Web Apps are siloed for very reasons such as one web app affecting another with bad code, etc. So from a structural aspect, I'm not sure you would want a workflow that would run with elevated permissions modifying other web apps.

With that being said you could possibly look at using or invoking a web service call to make that change if needed.  Another option would be to look at using Managed Metadata Navigation which would allow you to base your navigation on a term set and that term set would then be control via the Term Store.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: How do I copy a list item to an identical list in a different web application?

Would you be able to go into more detail on using the web service to make that change?

We have a completely custom navigation that's not using the normal SharePoint navigation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

A web service can be called to create, update a list or list item.  See https://community.nintex.com/docs/DOC-1351

But in general, even with Custom Navigation, thats part of the purpose for Managed Navigation.  Before trying to make a workflow update a list across web apps, I would try and see what can be done via Native SharePoint.  That way you aren't building a critical feature that may easily break should a new CU come out that affects something you are unaware of.  .

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Was just looking at that same documentation, and got to a certain point with the Web Service. I think I'm going to need help with Nintex or someone who's done this before on this one to walk me through it.  We just redid all of our navigation to use the list. Thanks for the suggestions.

webservice.png

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Eric (or anyone),

Do you know more information about using the web service? I've got the web service started with the List name that it's looking at, but not sure where to go from here. Am I actually telling it to copy the list item to the new list during the web service call?

0 Kudos
Not applicable

GetListItems is just to retrieve list of items. After calling GetListItems, you need to call UpdateListItems to perform the “copy".

The flow should be something like below, eg Call WebService (GetListItems) > Query XML > Build String > Call WebService (UpdateListItems):

sampleWorkflow.png

Note: You might need few Query XML action to archive your requirement.

Some reference point for you:

Query between Site Collections using Nintex-SharePoint web services | Salaudeen Rajack's SharePoint ...

Call web service from Nintex Workflow - To Copy List item between Site Collections | Salaudeen Rajac...

Hope helps!

Not applicable

Thank you! Between this information and in addition the helpful link below, I was able to get this resolved. I appreciate everyone's assistance.

SharePoint For All: Nintex Workflow: Create List Item using Web Service. Useful for accessing and cr...

0 Kudos