cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Workflow Hero

How do I check if a Multiline Field is empty?

Is Empty DOESN'T Work. 

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Workflow Hero

Re: How do I check if a Multiline Field is empty?

Hi

Which environment, and, can you post a screenshot of how you've configured this? Calculated field or rule?

Should be isNullOrEmpty({field}) I think! But let's see - maybe something is afoot!

Cheers,

Rhia

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Hi Stephan,

You can simply add a validation rule to your field in the Nintex Form.To make it even more simple you can just add a set for validation setting in the configure action as shown below.

Regards

Bashya Rajan

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Stephan mentioned he is looking to check if something is empty, not necessarily for validation purposes. This may work if it is for validation, but otherwise, another path is best.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

I don't think this will work--but I'll try it.  Trying a condition with "is empty" didn't.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

It's more complex than this.  This field isn't required but I need to know if it's empty.  If it's filled I create list items for a dependent list and then clear it out and update a status field (read only) which then contains the last two status items by date.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

There is no isNullOrEmpty({field})

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Here is the simplest approach.

I’ve added two fields to a custom list: Details (multi-line text input) and Status (choice field in Display Mode). A workflow will run on each item and update Status to Empty or Not Empty depending on the field value. A condition is used to determine how the list should be updated.

The condition is configured using the “is empty” condition.

Once the workflow runs, the Statuses have been updated accordingly. In your case, you’d use the branches to create your list items and update the required fields.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

Thanks, doesn't work for me. Is Empty doesn't work on Multi-line text fields in my environment.

Accept as Solution Reply
Workflow Hero

are you sure the field is really empty? doesn't it contain eg. space(s).

'is empty' check should normally work. I've tried it with both plaintext and reach text, works for both for me.

if it really doesn't work for you, you can check for emptiness with regular expression.

Accept as Solution Reply