cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can i use a configuration list to store all my text values so that they are not hard coded in worklows elements?

Jump to solution

In order to be able to change some text values without opening the workflow everytime, i would like to take the values from a custom list.

This list would be very simple, two columns, the key, and the value.

I suspect i should use collection variable, but i'm new to nintex, and can't figure out how to do that.

Thanks

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Not applicable

Re: How can i use a configuration list to store all my text values so that they are not hard coded in worklows elements?

Jump to solution

Hi Eric,

There are many ways how can you select your configuration list values. But which way to choose belongs on your business logic. Can you describe more detailed about your business logic ?

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Re: How can i use a configuration list to store all my text values so that they are not hard coded in worklows elements?

Jump to solution

Hi Eric,

From the site settings, do workflow constants could correspond to your needs?

sample 1.png

Used like this in the designer :

sample 2.png

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Constants are definitely and easy and out of the box features that would abstract your variables out of the workflow and enable you to change their values at will.  Otherwise, you could go the route that you thought of and create a list.  You'd use the Query List action to go ahead and grab your values based off your key (set this in the filter area of the action), then you can store that result into a variable and use it as necessary.  I hope that answered your question.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thanks, it will be helpful.

It's just a pitty that there is no place for a long string (to store email templates content for example).

Anyway, thank you!

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Yes it did.

I was hoping to be able to transform my list into a {key,value} collection, but i'll use workflow constants.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Workflow Hero

Jump to solution

Hi Eric,

Like I said, you can create a Key Value pair list.   I've used it for configuration in the past.

-Mike

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

I agree with mike. Creating configuration list is more flexible way, because when you need to change your data you don't need to republish workflow, and one more good thing that you can delegate to manage that list to other less competent person.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Jump to solution

If you use a list, as recommended by several people, your "value" column can be a rich text field, so you have considerable scope for what you can store in your configuration.

0 Kudos