cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can i create a workflow that changes a users Permissions until the item in a list is completed?

Jump to solution

I have a list where associates can submit time off. Then I have lets say admins who can go into the list and approve or deny these requests. I have the workflow set up so that the admin can click the (...) on the item that they want to work. They then click on a start workflow button that.. starts the workflow. Now my problem is that I want associate to be able to edit the item until the admin has approved or denied the request. In order to give the associates the ability to update their own request I would have to give them some form of edit permissions. If I give them said permissions they will then be able to approve or deny their own request because the (...) option will be available. IS there a way to make it so that button to start the workflow is hidden from everyone but the admins and still allow the associates to edit their item? THEN once the admin has approved or denied the request have it so the users permissions change to read only. Please let me know if I need to go into more detail!

Thank you,

Jacob

3 Replies
Highlighted
Workflow Hero

Re: How can i create a workflow that changes a users Permissions until the item in a list is completed?

Jump to solution

In your approve or deny workflow, add a first step which checks if the Initiator is part of the right group.

How to determine if user is in group?

If they are, continue the workflow and change the permissions of the item, if not, send them a pleasant message.

They would see the workflow, but it wouldn't do anything for them.

Also, if admins have the right permissions, you can check the box to Require manage list rights.

Not applicable

Re: How can i create a workflow that changes a users Permissions until the item in a list is completed?

Jump to solution

Jeremiah,

Thank you for your quick response. This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!

Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hi, Jacob Nye​. If Jeremiah's response works, please select "correct answer" above. It helps people find solutions when answers are marked correct. If it's not working out,feedback is welcome.  Thank you!

0 Kudos