cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How can I "create item in another site" when then site hasn't been created yet? (without calling a web service)

Without calling a web service, how can I "create item in another site" when then site hasn't been created yet?

I've already set up a workflow in "List A" to create a new library when a new item is entered in List A.

Now I want to set up a "List B" workflow to add new folders to that library when new items are entered in List B.

I know what the library URL will be once created, but I can't seem to set up the workflow to add a new folder to a library that hasn't been created yet.

Based on my research, it looks like calling a web service could help but I don't have credentials for that.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: How can I "create item in another site" when then site hasn't been created yet? (without calling a web service)

I don't think you can create an item in another site which is not existing now. you have to create site first then use it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: How can I "create item in another site" when then site hasn't been created yet? (without calling a web service)

Hi Manju,

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve since resolved my question by setting up a workflow on List B to send an email to the library where I want to create the new item…

Even though the library doesn’t exist now, I know what the URL will be based on how I set up the List A workflow to create the library. It’s still a little clunky because my team has to create the library email address and enter it into List A after the library has been created. List B pulls the library email address from List A via a lookup column. Then the List B workflow is set up to email the library which creates a new folder with the title we included in the subject line.

Now I’m trying to figure out how to set up permissions on the new folder once it’s created. I set up the List B workflow to include the people for whom I want to add permissions in the Email Cc line. Unfortunately the “Set Item Permissions” action doesn’t allow me to select the Email Cc. I’ve tried using “Regular Expression” and “For Each” to split the email addresses and set item permissions but something isn’t working. Any suggestions?

(I’m going to try adjusting my List B workflow to send an email from each person field separately because the library workflow allows me to select “Email From” when setting item permissions, but I’d prefer to figure out how to use the Email Cc field)

Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hi Leah,

I'm in the same situation. But can't use your solution. Did you find something else in the mean time?

You can't use webservices, because that needs to run on an existing site also (and that doesn't exists yet). Even getting the GUID from the list in the newly created site (with template) doesn't seems possible.

Thanks&greets,

Peter

0 Kudos