cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispike
Nintex Newbie

How can I get my names to stop appearing scrambled in the work flow notification email

Jump to solution

Below is a picture of my WorkFlow---Assign Flexi Task.  I have it set to say the following message:

Class Attendee is requesting to attend Item Display Name
on Training Dates
Do You Approve?

Here is a screen shot:

Why does the class Attendee name show SCRAMBLED in my email notice?

I'd like to know who is signing up for training with out having to pull up the form itself.

Here is what I get in my email:

the name shows up SCRAMBLED

Please help me correct this.

Thanks!

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
ispike
Nintex Newbie

Re: How can I stop my names to stop appearing scrambled in the work flow notification email

Jump to solution

Here is the scrambled email I get

0 Kudos
kkittinger
Nintex Newbie

Re: How can I get my names to stop appearing scrambled in the work flow notification email

Jump to solution

Looks like its pulling out the account name from AD and user profile services vs just the name of the person.  If your using a people picker you need to set up a value that is doing a userProfileLookup(domain\username, "PreferredName") in a calculation field then save that in a column or send it to your workflow somehow.

Another way is to do a Replace where it gets rid of the claims part. Which is the i:0#.w| and then just pull the rest and format the way you want.

Hope this helps you out.

0 Kudos
ispike
Nintex Newbie

Re: How can I get my names to stop appearing scrambled in the work flow notification email

Jump to solution

thanks so much for your response!

I am brand new to Nintex, SharePoint and Workflow----so your response is very much over my head.

I understand your response for the most part and think your 2nd option would be the easiest option to tackle.

Can you provide all the STEPS on HOW to do a replace the "Claims Part"  and pull the rest in a name format?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
janp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

What happens when you reference a name like that, is that it give you the underlying SharePoint "name" for the person.

To get around it, you can set a variable ClassAttendeeDisplayName and you set it to Class Attendee. Then just make sure that the return data type is set to Display Name

example:

I have an action to set the Signing Officer display name so I can use it in an email later.

The action looks like this:

Then of course you'd use the new display name variable in your email.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ispike
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hello,

And thanks so much for your response.

I am brand new to Nintex & SharePoint.

How do I go about setting an action set?----is that an out of the box workflow action?

If not, where would I find this action set in order to create the “Variable”???

Inger N. Spikner

0 Kudos
ispike
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Jan,

I really appreciate your response.

I am brand new to SharePoint and Nintex and need more BASIC direction as to how to get started in order to follow your instructions.

Are you saying that I should create a new action set?

Or change the settings of an existing WorkFlow Action?

Where do I go to set the Signing Officer display name?

Inger N. Spikner

IT Business Unit Liaison

0 Kudos
janp
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Inger,

You do not have to create a whole "Action Set". You only need to insert a single action called Set Variable.

To create a new variable, go to Workflow Settings > Variables:

You would not be setting the name of the Signing officer, rather, for your need, you would create a variable called Class Attendee Display Name. Then in the Set Variable action, you would set the value of the new variable to the Display Name format of the Class Attendee field that you already have. (described in my previous response)

Further, please have a look at the tutorial documents. Nintex staff have made a great effort to create startup guides to get you going.

Regards,

0 Kudos
ispike
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi Jan,

I did a search and found the “SET VARIABLE” Workflow action---Thank You!

I inserted it into my workflow, however, when I tried to configure the action set----my options are different from the ones in your pictures.

Please advise.

I have attached screen shots of what I see.

Inger N. Spikner

0 Kudos
ispike
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi,

Should i drag the set variable action to my work flow?

When i do this----I don't get the options you listed.

What should I do now?

0 Kudos