Business Friendly View of Workflow

• 3 January 2011
  • 1 reply

Badge

Is there a tool or method of extraction I could use to take our existing Blackpearl workflow and place it into a more business-friendly visual display for management to review? Both the viewflow and screenshots we're able to display from Visual Studio are overly-complex in content for our management to get through -

thanks in advance!

S

1 reply

Badge +10

I would first see if Ruben's approach would meet the requirements.  However, if that doesn't simplify the process enough for them then another approach would be to have a "parent" process or a simplified process that just shows the major milestones that management is worried about.  Offhand I know of 2 ways to accomplish this.

1.  Have a parent process call a subprocess at each milestone using the IPC event.  Using the new K2 Viewflow you can even drill into the subprocesses from the parent. which is nice  The disadvantage is that if you already have your process built you'd need to break them up into multiple subprocesses.  And if you're using InfoPath it becomes a little more difficult passing the XML from the parent to subprocess and rewiring the connection strings.

2.  Have a separate Management process that your original process calls to to indicate that it's finished the milestones at the appropriate times.  You can do this using the async server event (there are samples of using the async server event) as you do have to write a couple lines of code but its not difficult to do.  If I already had my process built and tested I would be leaning towards using this approach.