Need a Yes/No Checkbox to be required based off column list field selection

Badge +3

I created an onboarding form in Nintex which I need to have a checkbox (outlined in the below) be required when the user changes the form status from Open to Completed. 

4149iF23E4848195EDD93.jpg

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

All that would be required would be to have a rule on the Check Box. In my rule "Status" is the name of the control which has the choice.

equals(Status,"Completed")

Please see my sample form attached if required.

Badge +3

I added that into a rule for the checkbox, but it doesn't make it required if the status equals Completed.  It still allows me to save the form without checking it.

I wasn't able to open your example, but I've included a screen shot of the rule I setup as you recommended.  Clearly, I am missing something. :)

4156i448FDAC9F03A86B7.jpg

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
The rule type needs to be Validation and not Formatting.
Badge +3

Hi again,

Thanks for the clarification.  I switched it to validation and then added an error message for users.  It triggers appropriately on the form, but won't let me save it once I check the Yes box.  Screen shot included.

4169iD360A3720EE4C65A.jpg

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
What is the rule that you are using now?
What was the issue importing my test form?
Can you provide an export of your form?
Badge +3

Hi - below is a photo of the rule.  When I tried to open your zip file it opened as an HTML and I couldn't decipher what it was saying.

4180iD46F01DFED81F208.jpg

Userlevel 6
Badge +22
Hi,
To view my sample form you will need to unzip it.
Then in SharePoint open the Nintex forms designer and select Classic Form.

From the ribbon click import and then import the file you extracted from the zip.
You can now bring up the rules panel and see how I have configured things.
Preview the form to test or publish and test on your list.
Your rule looks correct but it may not be associated to the correct control.
Following the process above you can open your form in the Nintex forms designer and click the Export button from the ribbon to export your form. Save it and zip it and attach it to a post on this thread and I can look at it for you.
Badge +3

The green check to the right of the rule name indicates it's associated with any controls selected on the left.  If any field other than the checkbox is selected, it won't work (even if the checkbox is ALSO selected).

Try deleting the rule, then selecting the checkbox only, them recreating the rule.

Badge +3

Hello,

I was able to import your example; however, I still had the same issue with the form not saving even if I check the Yes box.  You can see in the screen shot below that even when I select Completed for the Status and check the Yes box, it still shows as an error and won't save the form.

4230iBDCA4EF66F537364.jpg

Badge +3

Hello,

The rule is only associated to that checkbox.

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

The rule only needs to be associated with the text box as this is the requred control.

I have redone the test form.  I made a mistake where I was only looking at the choice control and forgot to look at the checkbox as well.

Badge +3

Hi Simon,

I was able to import your Checkbox Validation and it works as designed; however, I am still not able to get my form to work.  I've attached the export file to this thread for you to review. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Katie

Badge +16

I think your issue is that you are validating when Status = Completed only.  You need to be validating when Status = Completed AND checkbox is unchecked:

and(not(chkConfirm), equals(ddStatus, "Completed"))

4251iBB0B441AFD833A4D.png

Badge +3

Can you explain what the chkConfirm and ddStatus mean?  I entered this into my form exactly as you wrote it and it still isn't working as I would like it to :(

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

Hi,

Your rule was not working because you still had custom validation in the control configuration itself which was overriding the rule. Also the "Yes" in your rule was not red so it looks like it was not referenced.

I fixed it up and attached your form.

Badge +3

It works!!!  Thank you so much!

Badge

Hi,

I am trying to check yes/no box whenever users click on choice drop down. Please see the screen shot.

Userlevel 6
Badge +22

@vishalshyam unless you use Javascript and a classic form you cannot check a Ye/No control based on a Choice control in Nintex forms on-premise.

Badge +3

Others are correct, that you need JavaScript in classic forms.  However, it looks like, from your screenshot, your check box is an affirmation by the user.  Kind of like a terms of service agreement.  In this case, automatically checking the box will nullify the purpose of it.  Unless I misunderstand the purpose...