I have an issue that womeone might be able to help me with.
I have 4 large history lists in my sharepoint. The largelest was newly mapped and created and already has 130k items. This is a productive environment.
I would like to know what would be the best ways to constantly purge data from there. I have set up a retention policy in the lists (Delete if created date > 14 days) but this didnt work out. Nothing was deleted. Would the best way to have a site workflow to be scheduled and delete the items?
I have also seen written that we shouldnt have any logs (log action or automatic logged activities like "Loop" or "for each") is this the best behavior? What if i need to troubleshoot an issue in Production?
Thank you in advance,
Solved! Go to Solution.
Some workflow history lists have a large amount of entries and the Microsoft Suggested best practice is not to exceed 5000 records in the history lists. You can view the Best practice straight off of Microsoft's Technet here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/marj/archive/2015/08/07/sharepoint-2010-workflows-best-practice-purge-wor... Here is a breakdown of the process.
Creating the History List
1. Go to Site Settings
2. Under Nintex Workflow select "manage workflow history lists".
3. Select new.
4. Assign a name (and description if needed).
5. Click Create.
Setting Retention Policies
1. in the History List View you accessed from the steps above, click the history list name in the list. This will open your history list.
2. Open the list settings.
3. Go to "Information management policy settings"
4. You will see a link within all the text on the page that says "Change source or configure list schedule" click that link.
5. Set Source of retention to "Library and Folders"
6. Down below click "Add a retention stage.."
7. The "The stage is based off a date property on the item" is already checked. Leave created selected and then select the amount of time you want to retain the history. (Most of mine I set to 1 month).
8. Under action, you can leave Move to Recycle Bin or select Delete Permanently.
9. Click Ok to save.
Setting the history list in the workflow.
1. Edit the workflow
2. Click Workflow Settings
3. Scroll down to the bottom of Workflow Settings to History List.
4. Select the History List you created.
5. Re-publish the workflow.
Please do this for each workflow.
Thank you for the fast response!
I have done this already but apparently the retetion policy is not doing anything. The items older than the 14 days that i have set are not being delete. Does his mean that only the ones created 14 after the time i set the policy are affected?