update items in another site

Badge +9

I have a main list where an item is created, this creates a new item in a subsite. When someone modifies the item from the subsite it should update the item in the main list. The issue that I am running into is that when I update the item from the subsite it updates all of the items on the main list instead of updating the one particular item.

My main list is using a switch but it creates an item based off of a Request Status. So if Request Status = requested then it creates an item in another subsite.

163500_pastedImage_0.png

The workflow in my subsite is configured as follows

163501_pastedImage_1.png

163634_pastedImage_2.png

163635_pastedImage_3.png

10 replies

Badge +7

Hi Rency,

Your screens do not show which conditions you set in the "Filter" section of the "Update multiple items" action.

It could explain why all the item in the main list are updated.

Badge +4

Hi, what is the link between the item in the main list and the item in the subsite?

Badge +9

When an item is created on the parent list it passes all column values including the Request Status column. From the parent list the Request Status=Requested and creates an item in the subsite. Once the manager modifies the item and changes Request Status=Completed it should update the item from the parent list from Requested to  Completed.

Badge +9

I will check the filter option that is probably what I am missing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I agree with having to use a filter to target a specific item to update.  ItemIDNum sounds like a good start but it all depends on what you have available when this is item that you are updating is first being created.  Ideally you'd want the target item (item being updated) to contain the id of the source item (originating item you are creating the target item from) to act as some kind of unique id column which you could then target with your filter in the update.

Badge +9

HI Mike

This is what I have in the filter I am not sure what it is supposed to equal to? The ID number from the parent list gets stored in the ItemIDNum.

165443_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +9

The ItemIDNum is storing the ID from the parent list on creation

165444_pastedImage_0.png

Badge +7

Hi Rency,

I'm quite lost

I thought you tried to update main list. So you should have a filter like "ID" is equal to "ItemIDNum"

But ItemIDNum is present in the available fields of the query filters... so you set this update action on the subsite list, right?

Badge +9

I am so sorry there are a lot of moving pieces to my workflow.

This is the flow

Item gets created in List A, this creates a list in List B. The ID number from List A gets stored into a column called ItemIDNum.

Once the item gets modified to completed this should change the status of the original item in List A to completed as well happy.png

Badge +9

Your suggestion worked thank you so much!