Issue Tracking

• 27 October 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge +6

Hello guys, 

I have been testing the water with SharePoint and Nintex and I have to say that I have done a lot of cool stuff and always looking forward to learn something new. Thanks for the support guys.

And also I need some feedback from you guys. I need to make an issue tracking in Sharepoint / Nintex to manage credit invoices.. Before I saw an Issue tracking made in JIRA Attlasian whose potential is pretty impressive. Maybe is different with SharePoint and Nintex but I dont know if we could also develop an issue tracking similar or even better with Nintex and SharePoint or maybe there is an adding or a web part to do this.

This is what I saw in Jira:

193663_pastedImage_10.png

Jira-Workflow:

193662_pastedImage_5.png

I will really appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

5 replies

Badge +10

Hi Walter,

I think you can achieve it using forms and workflows. You can have tabs in nintex forms also. And use java script on buttons.

Badge +8

Hi ‌,

JIRA is an Enterprise issue tracking tool with a lot of development time put into it. Do not expect to be able to easily rebuild this with ANY other tool.

The best tip I can give you is:

If JIRA (or better) is the expectation of the issue tracker, do not use SharePoint lists as data source. Use SQL Server!

For Insight, Nintex Hawkeye must be used.

The required license model is therefor: The Enterprise subscription license model

Cheers,

Rick

Badge +11

There is a built in form list in SharePoint for Issue Tracking. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Hello walter fuentes‌ - 

TL:DR - Ask yourself/company if SharePoint + Nintex is the right solution given that you already have JIRA in place. If you are going to do it, check out state machines, it would answer a lot of how you would want to approach this.

As other users have pointed out, it is entirely doable using SharePoint and Nintex. The questions you need to ask yourself (or the company) would be:

1. How much time/effort/resources can be used to get this up and running?

If you already have something in place, and it works, you may not want to change it. Just because you have a power tool doesn't mean you have to use it for every job!

2. What are the downsides to the current way of doing things (JIRA) and is it enough to cause a change?

From what I can see in the screenshot, that workflow looks like a flying spaghetti monster! Nintex would give you the ability to create a simple, straightforward, human readable workflow (much like visio) that can be followed and understood by the business.

3. What are the apparent gains if you were to change to SharePoint + Nintex?

There may be areas that you can solve very quickly and get up and running, but it may take a bit of "working it out" to put it all together in the end. Assuming you already have SharePoint, getting Nintex up and running is merely a matter of license (which equates to $$$), but getting a Nintex workflow up and going does not take long! You could have a prototype up in an afternoon!

My personal thoughts - 

This can be done with a state machine to track the life-cycle of the "issue" as it moves from open to in progress to closed. A state machine also allows you to go back to a prior stage if needed, and it looks like you would need to account for items that were reopened. We use state machines in a few different areas, and one that jumps to mind is our software acquisitions workflow. This is used company wide and is for tracking user requests for new software. It automates the notifications between the different business areas, send notifications to users with license information, and will update license counts if we have any available. There are multiple approvals and escalations in it and allows for the "admin" to push requests through or request for additional information at any step without breaking.

Long winded, I know happy.png

Hope this helps!

Badge +6

Hello Jesse McHargue

Long winded, Thanks about that.

Thanks for your feedback, I am absolutely agree with your point of view, my bosses are thinking about implementing SharePoint / Nintex solutions and what I am doing now is trying to figure it out the way to solve problems with this technology, I am learning about SharePoint/ Nintex and I know this technology is powerful and I need get in to..

We are thinking in SharePoint + Nintex like a futuristic project including  all the users in the corporation, I have to say something, in my company, in my region, in my team this technology is completely new and there are a lot of questions on the air but we are on our way to see new solutions and for some reasons SharePoint is our airplane to get there.