The workflow could not update the item, possibly because one or more columns for the item require a

• 1 April 2019
  • 1 reply

Badge +6

Hi All,

I have a state machine with 3 states.

In some items after first state assign flexi task, workflow goign to error state. Screen shot of workflow shown below.

After assign flexi task, it is showing all all the actions in green, but when i see the history i cant see the content of log action also.

1281i1183E899B2C186EE.png

see the error below.

1280i765BEAAE026A2836.png

Parent list has approval permission and workflow list has contribute permission.Please help me to resolve this.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

The only time I have gotten the error, "The workflow could not update the item... etc. etc." is when I attempted to populate a column on an item that erroneously had the "Unique Values" option checked, or was trying to update a column of one type (say, Number) with a value that couldn't possibly go there (like the string, "abc"). 

If it's only failing some of the times, I'd check to make sure you don't have a column set up to hold Unique values, because it fits the simptoms of being good the first time, but then failing beyond that (which fits with how that would work).