Infopath/Smartform update

• 31 January 2006
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I have seen some of the posts about this topic but I am stumped anyway. I need to be able to give the option to the users as to either use a smartform or the infopath form but that is their choice for each workflow item. I am having difficulty updating the infopath document from the smartform even though it is bound to the process XML instance. I am not sure if I have to write code for this or if the K2 process should automatically update the form. Any thoughts?

2 replies

Badge +8
Are the InfoPath and the SmartForm client events located in the same activity?

What is the behaviour you are seeing - I suspect that what happens is the SmartForm updates the process XML data successfully, but when the InfoPath activity finishes, the process data reverts back to what it was before the SmartForm was completed. In this case, remember that an InfoPath activity will update the Process XML datafield K2InfoPathSchema with the activity data, and if the activity data was never updated (e.g. if the user used the SmartForm instead of the InfoPath form), the 'old' process data will be copied back. Have a look at my post on the following topic on how InfoPath events work:
http://forum.k2workflow.com/viewtopic.php?t=997&highlight=

If the events are located in the same activity, then update the activity XML datafield K2InfoPathSchema instead of the process XML datafield - that should do it.

Regards,
Neil
Badge +1
I read in another post that if the server event was after the infopath form then the update would happen successfully and it did. I don't really understand why but it works none the less. I wish there was better documentation on the inner working of the properties that are used. I.e. Finish Button, Update Button -- Plan Page, Client Page. This just takes some figuring out I guess.