Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Hide column updates from version history

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I store a custom change record in XML within a multi-line text column in the list items.  I use that to keep track of updates users make to other columns and trigger broadcast notifications if necessary.   I don't show the column in any views for the user, but updates I make to the column show up in the version history record visible to the user.

How do I update my column "silently" and hide it from the version history of the item?

I'm not sure what the implications of making it a hidden column are: whether that would remove it from the version history and whether I could still write to it using my workflows.  I set it to hidden and all the previous updates I'd made to the column were still visible in the version history.

Labels: (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Hide column updates from version history

Jump to solution

Hi @scrawford,

I could not find anything suiting your needs directly. I tried using the "delete previous versions" action but you can´t limit that to delete only the last version history entry of the item.

You could however outsource your field to another list and read data from there:

List A: add Lookup field to List B, remove multi-line-xml-text-field

List B: Lookup to list A; multiple lines of text

List A creates an item in List B via workflow and connects the two items.

You can now update List B from a workflow in List A using "where ListA:ID == CurrentItem:ID". You can also always read the value the same way. Version History in List A should now only show the connection to list B once and never after that.

This may be worth if you update the xml field often and would therefore make the version history of List A really big and inconvenient for the user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi @Tarf,

Thanks for your suggestion and it would have been perfect..  However lookup won't lookup Multi-line text fields and my XML code requires more than just 255 characters allowed by the single line of text.  Even if I broke it up into pieces it wouldn't work in single lines of text because some of the fields that the change record encompasses are multi-line text so themselves will be over 255 chars.

I don't suppose there's an other option you know of is there?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi @scrawford,

it is true that you can´t add the multi-line column using the "show additional columns" in sharepoint list settings. 

You can however use a query list in workflow to receive the value and work with it. Only downside would be that you cannot see the value easily in a list view.

I always display the ID with a lookup column so I can reference the ID field (Where ID equals LookupColumn:ID) in query list actions.

Same goes for update item methods, which you can use to update the column.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Jump to solution

Hi @Tarf,

You're absolutely right. I just got hung up on being able to see it in a list, but what I actually need it for is only really within the workflow.

Thanks again for helping me out!

0 Kudos