Assignment Issue with Request Data Workflow Action?

Badge +2

I have an issue with assigning users a Request Data Task and the assigned users being able to complete the tasks. 

Scenario: 

I have a column in the list, let's call this "Task Owners", which is a People field with "Allow Multiple Selections" enabled.  I also have a workflow which requests data from the "Task Owners".

In the business case, I need to be able to request data from the "Task Owners", with any of them being able to respond.  But, only need the first to respond.  

The issue:

None of the "Task Owners" are able to provide any data from the Request Data action on the Nintex Workflow.  When I checked the task, it is saying that there is no-one assigned (field is blank).  

How might I resolve this?

Edit: Adding issue recreation steps.

Issue Recreation Steps:

1.  Create Custom List
  2.  Add New Column: Person or Group field with Allow Multiple Sections Option enabled
  3.  Add 3 or more accounts to the field.
  4.  Create New Nintex Workflow
  5.  Add "Request Data" action.
  6.  Configure "Request Data" action to include the New Column on the custom list as the "Collect Data From
  7.  Run Workflow

Notes:

• To eliminate any possible permission issues, all testing accounts was granted Full Control permissions to the new team site.
  • Version History was enabled to validate if anything was removing the information from the task list after the task was created; it was not.
  • Everything else was left at defaults for a Team Site with Nintex Workflows & Forms enabled 

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Can you post a screenshot of your task action configuration?

Badge +2

There's not much relevant in the task action. (Screenshot attached - hid content type & other company information)

And here is the resulting Task that get's created:

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

so, is the 'Verifier' list field that holds "task Owners"?

can you write it to history log prior the task action to see what value it steps into the action with?

can you check the task directly in task list, does it have 'Assigned To' field empty either?

can you check task list item version history whether somebody/something didn't remove assignee(s) after the task was created?

Badge +2

***so, is the 'Verifier' list field that holds "task Owners"?***

Yes, "Verified" is the list field that holds the "Task Owners". A person field with multiple entries enabled. 

***can you write it to history log prior the task action to see what value it steps into the action with?***

I have already outputted it to the history log, and it outputs the contents of the field as expected. 

***can you check the task directly in task list, does it have 'Assigned To' field empty either?***

On the task, it does not have anything in the 'Assigned To' field

***can you check task list item version history whether somebody/something didn't remove assignee(s) after the task was created?***

No, I have already checked for that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

do you have any escalation configured for the action?

can you try to add some specific user/mail to the assignee list whether it gets cleared as well?

can you try with other task action, eg. flexi task?

Badge +2

***do you have any escalation configured for the action?***

No escalation is configured.

***can you try to add some specific user/mail to the assignee list whether it gets cleared as well?***

Adding a specific username/email in place of the List Field works without issues.

***can you try with other task action, eg. flexi task?***

Flexi Task works without issues using the same List Field.

Additionally,  there is another Request Data action that is assigned to the "Created By" field.  This separate action is working without any issue in the same workflow.

One other thing I have noticed, is that the Request Data action creates 1 unassigned task.  On the other hand, the Flexi Task will create separate tasks; each being assigned to one of the users in the List field.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

where do you select users into Verifier field from? is it from All users or from a specific SP group?

if it is a SP group, how do you have configured visibility of group members?

do you have any workflow on the task list?

could you try to remove and add&configure the request data action once again?

Request Data action creates 1 unassigned task.  On the other hand, the Flexi Task will create separate tasks

that's due to configurable option "Create individual tasks for all group members" in flexi task action.

if you didn't tick it on it would create single task as well

Badge +2

***do you have any workflow on the task list?***

No

***could you try to remove and add&configure the request data action once again?***

No change, it is acting the same on a brand new list with the request data as the single action. 

Request Data action creates 1 unassigned task.  On the other hand, the Flexi Task will create separate tasks

that's due to configurable option "Create individual tasks for all group members" in flexi task action.

if you didn't tick it on it would create single task as well

But in this case, should the Request Data action not also create multiple tasks for each of the users being assigned?  With the first one to reply completing the action to move forward the workflow.   Not as it's acting currently with leaving the "Assigned To" blank with no-way to progress the workflow...  

May I suggest testing the issue with the same steps I used to encounter this issue?  Doing so would tell us if it's a problem with my environments (same issue in dev, test and prod) or if it's an issue with the Nintex Workflow action (Request Data) itself.

Issue Recreation Steps:

1.  Create Custom List
  2.  Add New Column: Person or Group field with Allow Multiple Sections Option enabled
  3.  Add 3 or more accounts to the field.
  4.  Create New Nintex Workflow
  5.  Add "Request Data" action.
  6.  Configure "Request Data" action to include the New Column on the custom list as the "Collect Data From
  7.  Run Workflow

Notes:

• To eliminate any possible permission issues, all testing accounts was granted Full Control permissions to the new team site.
  • Version History was enabled to validate if anything was removing the information from the task list after the task was created; it was not.
  • Everything else was left at defaults for a Team Site with Nintex Workflows & Forms enabled 
Badge +2

My thoughts on a work-a-round... I'm considering adding a variable that will collect all the users to be assigned the Request Data action and then looping through and creating an individual Request Data task for each user. 

Of course, I'll also have to somehow track the tasks so that they can be removed once the first person completes their task.  However, I'm not sure how I'll continue the workflow process as it waits until the Request Data has been responded to... and I would have to cleanup the other 2 Request Data task that do not need to be answered after the first response has been submitted.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

that's seems to be by design, have a look on documentation.

request data action seems to support just single entry for 'Collect data from'.

but since it states "Although the People Picker field will allow multiple users to be added" I would expect it still should correctly create the task for first entry despite multiple entries are provided.

https://help.nintex.com/en-US/nintex2013/help/#Workflow/RootCategory/Actions/Nintex.Workflow.RequestData.htm%3FTocPath%3… 

219132_pastedImage_1.png

I've tested your scenario, for multiple users in the field it behaved just the same way. for single entry it created task correctly.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

what so specific on data you request from users so that you decided for request data action?

wouldn't flexi task action suit you more?