Add New Item List View

Badge +3

I have a list view control added on my nintex form where I'm displaying another list contents from the same site.

That list have a lookup column from the original list.

When I click 'Add new item' from the original it takes me to the other list new item form.

What I want is to pass the look column value to that list form and auto populate that value.

4 replies

Badge +7

Hi Amaresh,

I'm not sure what is happening.  Will it be possible to give your lists different names and refer to them in your explanation?

Badge +3

Sure.

List A- A nintex form is used to enter the details for it. It has column project ID in it.

List B - Subset of List A which stores staff details for the project and have the project ID as one of it's columns which is of type lookup from the Project ID column from List A.

I'm showing the List B details on the List A form using list view control of nintex forms, which works great.

The list view control also have a 'Add New' button which takes the user to the List B new list item entry screen which is expected and fine. What I want is to pass the project ID from List A when I click on the 'Add New' button and populate it on the new item entry screen of List B by default.

Badge +7

Thanks Amaresh,

That makes more sense to me now.  I think a way to resolve this would be to use something called query strings. In the Add new item URL that you pass to create a new item in List B, you will have to add a variable at the back of the URL, i.e. http://<URL>?Newform.aspx?ProjectID=123

In list B, you will have to change the default value for the field projectID to an expression and use the inline function fn-GetQueryString(ProjectID).  This will then read the value from the URL and populate it in the field for the new Item being added.

I hope this brings you closer to an answer to your problem.

Badge +3

The requirement changed a bit and I didn't have to try this. Will try this if get time though to check if it will work.,