"The workflow file can only be opened from the same context it was created in"

• 29 September 2014
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Getting this error: The workflow file can only be opened from the same context it was created in. E.g. Document, List or Form Library, SmartForms or SharePoint.

Does this mean you cannot open workflows that were designed by the SharePoint app in the K2 studio?

I'm using SharePoint 2013 and the K2 SharePoint App

12491iD338138EB74F8D5D.png

11720i2812E1EBE6602AD6.png
15485i4D8F9230FADE0086.png

8 replies

Badge +5

I know there is some kind of incompatibility with web based workflows vs studio made workflows but I can't remember exactly what the issue is, or if it even affects what your issue is. I'll look into it when I get a chance.  

Badge +7

Hey TCorp,

What did you save the workflow file as? I'm wondering if it has to be saved as a .kprx file for you to be able to open it in K2 Studio. I think you should be able to "Save As" a .kprx from Designer. 

Badge +2

i created the workflow using the SharePoint Application. I'm not sure the format it was created in. i can't save it as a .kprx file as there isn't an option for that.

When i open the file in K2 designer it gives me the error and I lose my email activity..

Badge +7

So I read this from the 100.IAH Building Workflows with K2 Studio - Fundamentals pdf.

Instead of creating the workflow from scratch as a new process, a workflow designer can download the K2 Designer for SharePoint workflow as a .kprx file, and then open and edit the original workflow design in K2 Studio, adding as much complexity as required. Note that this is a one-way process: once a workflow is edited in K2 Studio, it cannot be opened and edited in the K2 Designer for SharePoint tool.

Badge +10

TCorp,

What version of K2 are you using currently?  This is 4.6.8, but I believe the functionality should be there.

12961iC50582BA9FA67FE6.png

If the workflow was originally created in K2 studio, it cannot be opened by designer, however, if it was originally created in K2 Designer, it may be opened and edited in K2 Studio.  This may help in understanding the different options: http://help.k2.com/en/K2LS-QRS013.aspx

Badge +2

I'm using the current version. We just upgrade about a week back.

"If the workflow was originally created in K2 studio, it cannot be opened by designer, however, if it was originally created in K2 Designer, it may be opened and edited in K2 Studio.  This may help in understanding the different options: http://help.k2.com/en/K2LS-QRS013.aspx"

So to reply to your comment "originally created in K2 Designer"

It was not originally created in K2 Designer it was created in the SharePoint 2013 App that is built to support SharePoint 2013

Badge +2

My main question is can a workflow that is built using the SharePoint 2013 app go backwards to designer or K2 Visual Studio.

Badge +7

So if it is originally made in the K2 for SharePoint App, you need to save it as a .kprx file to be able to open it in K2 Designer for Visual Studio or K2 Studio.

11705i9A9F6333532975CB.png

However, if you then open that file in K2 Designer for Visual Studio or K2 Studio to edit it, you cannot go backwards from there and open it in the K2 for SharePoint App to edit it again. It's only one way. You can't go back and forth between them. Again, you'll have to save the file as a .kprx to even open it in VS or Studio, though.

There's also K2 Designer, which is different than K2 Designer for VS, K2 Studio and the K2 for SharePoint app. It follows the same concept.

Here's the rule of thumb: Once you save the workflow as a .kprx in any of the web based designers (e.g. K2 for SharePoint, K2 Designer and K2 SmartForms Designer) and bring them into and open to edit them in a thick client designer (e.g. K2 Studio or K2 Designer for Visual Studio) you can't put them back or re-open them in a web designer. 

Does that make more sense?