'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' when running unattended installation.

• 16 February 2021
  • 0 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

Issue

The unattended installation keeps failing at the K2 Core step, and the following error is thrown:

Script: $subject = 'CN=[LBHOSTSERVERNAME]';.makecert -n $subject -pe -ss My -sr LocalMachine -sky exchange -m 120 -a sha256 -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 -sp 'Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider' -sy 12 -in 'K2 On Premise Root' -is My -ir LocalMachine *> $null;$(Get-ChildItem -Path Cert:LocalMachineMy | Where-Object Subject -like $subject | Where-Object Issuer -like 'CN=K2 On Premise Root, O=K2').Thumbprint 14:13:32:>> Target.GetValue: Return 'OutputVariable': 'MICRO_SSL_CERT_THUMBPRINT' 14:13:32:>> Target.GetValue: Return 'Temp': 'False' 14:13:32:>> ActionGroup.Execute: Logged Error: Group run failed with exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

This issue is occurred due to a missing [LBHOSTSERVERNAME] parameter in the generated XML file. When attempting to start the unattended installation with the following command, the installer is reading through the XML but can't locate the above key. It then throws 'Object reference...' error message.

Syntax: c:InstallSourceCode.SetupManager.exe /install:unattended.xml

Resolution

1. Roll back the environment.

2. Run the command to re-generate the xml file (i.e. C:installSourceCode.SetupManager.exe /output:unattended.xml /output:C:Resourcesunattended.xml) via CMD as administrator.
2. Choose the Custom Installation for the Installation Type,.

3. Wait for the XML file to generate.
4. Confirm this key exists in the xml file (i.e. <add key="[LBHOSTSERVERNAME]">server_name</add>)

5. Retry the unattended installation.

Additional Information

Related Links

0 replies

Be the first to reply!