cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Not applicable

Guidance for content database updates during SP2010 to SP2013 migration.

I am relatively new to SharePoint and completely new to Nintex products.

I'm working on migrating an existing SP2010 site to SP2013.

We are nearing the point of where we will take a final snapshot of the SP 2010 content database and do the migration steps needed to get that content database into the SP2013 farm.  (These steps include upgrading custom solutions, changing from classic authentication mode to claims mode, etc.)

I'm trying my first Nintex install of workflow and forms now on our SP 2013 staging farm.

I've read in the Nintex installation that the workflow and forms products are updating the content database.

What do I need to be aware of the next time I remove the SP2013 database and replace it with the latest migrated SP2010 database?

1) Do I need to do a remove / reinstall of Nintex before doing the final content database migration?

2) run some repair scripts?

3) No worries- everything should just work.  :)  yeah, right.

Any guidance / heads up appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan Moyer

5 Replies
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Re: Guidance for content database updates during SP2010 to SP2013 migration.

Here you 'll find a lot of info related >>> Migrating Nintex Workflow FAQs

Highlighted
Not applicable

That's a good resource to know about- Thanks!

But reading through the FAQ, I don't see that it helps answer my question about migrating the SP2010 content database to the SP2013 farm.

Perhaps another way of asking the question is as follows"

Today I install Nintex workflow and forms.

Tomorrow I find a problem (not in anyway related to Nintex), and need to  restore the content database from three days ago.

Does restoring the content database to a version before Nintex was installed break anything?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Nintex Newbie

Restoring an old Nintex Content Database will cause some orphan data on Nintex Workflows. Anyway you can purge that information.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I should've been more explicit... I'm restoring the site collection content database, not the Nintex content database.  ( Reading through Nintex documents, I didn't know before today Nintex had it's own content database)

More info:  We have content editors modifying and creating pages on the current live SP2010 farm.   When we switch over soon, we need to take that content database, upgrade it to SP2013 schema, and update the SP2013 farm site collection's content database.   When the switchover from the SP2010 farm to the SP2013 farm occurs, the users should see the same content web pages on the site.

If we install Nintex before replacing the site's content database, will we need to reinstall Nintex?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Dan,

All documentation and best practices regarding migrating data can be found in the following location:

Migrating/ Upgrading - What you need to know

In regards to the following: "I'm restoring the site collection content database, not the Nintex content database."

I would recommend you review the Nintex Workflow Backup and Restore document which covers this scenario.

Cheers,

Andrew Beals

0 Kudos