cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Get the GUID of the current item in a workflow

Is it possible to return the GUID of
the current item in a workflow.

I need the current item guid set to a variable so I can build a dynamic link to the start form for each item.

I know I can get the current item GUID in a SP Designer workflow
as you can select set variable = current item then GUID is present as a choice.

I do not see this in Nintex.

Any advice on how to retrieve current item GUID would be appreciated.

Labels: (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Automation Master
Automation Master

Re: Get the GUID of the current item in a workflow

Hi Darren,

In the Set Workflow Variable Action, when you put the cursor in the value, in the Insert Reference pane (in O365), I can select GUID.

Can you check if you can,

Regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Christophe, I am using on prem-enterprise...no GUID ref in current item properties for me.

0 Kudos
akrasheninnikov
Nintex Newbie

I'm sure you can do that by querying (or looking up) specifically for the "UniqueId" field where ID = current item ID.

0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Alexey, your comment got me thinking and indeed a custom Camel query list action will do it.

SharePoint Manager to the rescue..internal name.... surprise, surprise is GUID!

So added a query list action, went to Caml Editor and entered the following - see screen-shot below for query list action.:

I can now build a dynamic URL to the start form of a Nintex workflow from a button.

Tip: replace ID in url with with current itemID and itemguid: yourguid variable, as below strGUID. List ID and template ID will remain the same for each item in the list the workflow is run against.

upchurch_steve
Nintex Newbie

I am using Nintex Workflow with an on-prem SharePoint 2013 farm.  I am trying to use the caml query in a query list action to retrieve the GUID of the current list item.  I created a simple two-step list workflow.  The first step runs the query list action as shown and stored the resulting GUID in a single line of text variable.  The second step just emails the resulting GUID to myself (for test purposes).  When I run the workflow, the email shows that there is nothing in the "varGuid" variable where I believed I was storing it.  My Query List action is configured as follows:Capture.PNG

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.  I am not sure I am properly getting the "GUID" field to store in varGuid.  Any ideas on what I have that is incorrectly configured and on the correct way to retrieve the GUID field?  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos