In a workflow can I set the \From\" email address to be Initiator for a notification email?"

• 13 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Is it at all possible to have the "From" address dynamically populated as the Initiator value for an email notification? This WORKS fine for "To" and "CC" addresses. For my Send Notification action I can simply click on the "Browse" icon beside the "To" field and find the Initiator field under the "Lookup" section. However, when i try this in the "From" field it wont let me continue after i select "Initiator".

Am i doing something wrong? Is there any workaround that would enable this type of functionality? 

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Nick,

what do you mean with it won't let you continue after you select initiator? I just tried it with NW2013 and I selected the initiator as from address exactly the way you described it for To and CC.

The workflow then sent me a mail from "myself".

What is the workflow doing at your side?

As a side note: the users I work with wouldn't like that some workflow sends mails in their name so I would really be careful with that feature and would rather describe who was the last task respondant or something like this to make clear this is an automated e-mail. But that are only my own thoughts.

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

Hi Enrico,

Im running SP2010 and NW2010. Yes, for some reason it works fine for the TO and CC. So, when i am in the Send Notification task, I click the "From" field to set the cursor and choose the Browse(book) icon to open the dialogue window. In the dialogue window, I expand the "Lookup" section and then i double click "Initiator" to populate it at the bottom of the window. I then click OK and NOTHING happens unfortunately. It wont close the dialogue window to return to the Notification window. I cannot delete the "entry", I can only Cancel it. Even if i choose other fields under the Lookup section the same things happens. Is this possibly a limitation for the 2010 version? Is there any configuration settings for nintex to allow the FROM field to be dynamic or some other known workaround for this? 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Nick,

there is no such setting to configure that. I assume this simply is a bug. It works without any problems in 2013 and above.

What browser are you using? Can you try editing this in another browser?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

Im usining IE11. I am wondering if this is just a limitation for SP2010. If anyone had SP2010 running it would be a very quick test to see if this common or if there is underlying problem. 

Firefox and chrome dont allow me to make updates to the workflow as the ribbon is underwater: 210734_pastedImage_1.png

Thanks again for your assistance! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Nick,

checked it in 2010 and it's also working (sorry but I only have a german 2010 environment but I think the screenshot describes itself):

210809_pastedImage_1.png

I can pick the user like I pick users in TO or CC field using IE 11.0.9600.18816.

Maybe its some browser setting? Could you try editing the action from a different machine?

Best regards

Enrico

Badge +1

So, it looks like its an issue with the Version of Nintex I am running. I found a solution which is now working for me. 
Using a person or group variable in a Notification "To" address 

Thanks for your help in determining that I was not doing something wrong, but actually an issue with a Nintex version!