Should I publish all of my workflows as a System Account Administrator?

• 26 April 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Many of our workflows have been published by a few different administrators. While each of these administrators are Site Collection admins, they are user accounts, not system accounts. Is it best practice to publish workflows as a "system" account, vs a user, even if they have the same level of permissions?

2 replies

Badge +7

Hi Scott,

My personal opinion...I'm sure on some level it makes sense to publish everything with a Admins account but I think the more important thing is to be concerned about this when you start running workflows as admins through the actions sets.  I think when this starts happening it is important to publish a workflow as admins.   In this case if there is any staff turnover regarding your site collection owners in the company and the user accounts get disabled, the workflows will still continue running.

The new version of Nintex Workflow has a Workflow inventory function on server level which identifies all workflows and published by who. This is an easy way to keep track of all your workflows for all the different site collections.

Badge +1

Thanks Francois! Good news to hear about the Nintex upgrade.

One thing I do on some workflows that have actions that write to other lists etc, I put an Action Set wrapper and configure it to Run as Workflow owner, which cuts down on errors.

transferRouters_config.JPG